Moving to small flat, budget decorating ideas needed!

(10 Posts)
Moominmamma86 Mon 01-Jun-15 10:48:15

I'm moving in a week with DS and DP to quite a small flat. It's nice, neutral walls and carpet so nothing hideous to cover up but I would really like to make it cosy and attractive. The furniture we have is all hand-me-downs, some of it's nice some not so nice (I hate the sofa :/) plus we don't really have many pictures, cushions rugs etc which I would like. We also don't have curtains atm.
I would really appreciate any advice on decorating a rented place on a tiny budget, and making the most of what we have? I'm not massively crafty but could turn my hand to something simple. Also, where would be a good place to get curtains from? Thanks

walkardaniel Mon 01-Jun-15 13:12:14

I think you should experiments with some suitable colors and some points which you should mark to decorate your room like How much light your apartment receives is an important factor is deciding which color will work best for your space. Check out below pictures of room area before paint and after paint

Moominmamma86 Tue 02-Jun-15 23:12:11

Thank you :-)

EmNetta Fri 12-Jun-15 10:49:09

I'd check charity shops first for curtains, so very expensive otherwise and unlikely to fit your next home unless very large.
Rugs always useful in more than one area, and I'd leave cushion-covers until last, use good fabrics (maybe charity shops again?) and sew myself.

greenbottleglass Sat 13-Jun-15 12:07:25

Look on eBay and gumtree for cheap stuff if you're willing to buy second hand, vintage and antique.

I've been thinking about wallpaper recently, but it's a faff in a rental. What I might do is buy a new massive headboard and cover it in some lovely fabric. (MIL is very crafty and I'm hoping she can help!)

I dislike net curtains so instead world use some of that frosted film for glass. And question whether each room really needs curtains.

Buy nice stuff - a decorative coffee table, a pretty lamp. Pictures are great too of course - I saw recently that the V&A has some lovely prints! Have a look online

Also think about a Lakeland heated airer! Best thing I bought for our small flat smile

greenbottleglass Sat 13-Jun-15 12:08:31

Oh and made.com sofas seem to be good value if you want to save for a new one.
Two or three great cushions can really dress a place up

greenbottleglass Sat 13-Jun-15 12:15:57

Just had a look at the v&a shop and they have loads of lovely pics for children too. You could stick them in ikea frames and do a whole wall, or line them up on a shelf.

greenbottleglass Sat 13-Jun-15 12:17:28

Posted too soon

.... But they seem to have more at the museum shop if you can visit!

LovelyBranches Sat 13-Jun-15 23:59:50

Sofasofa are based near me, it's a welsh company, cheap and well made. Worth a look because the sofas are half the price of some other places I've seen.

NathalieM Mon 15-Jun-15 17:11:10

Get on Gumtree or Freecycle and see if anyone is giving away some free quality stuff; only problem is you'll have to transport it yourself, but you should be able to find some stuff in your local area.

As a little tip, get some reflective decorations such as mirrors or glass, as they'll bounce light around your room and make it seem much bigger and brighter. I live in a smaller home and it makes a huge difference.

Cheap furniture such as foldaway tables, chairs and classroom tables also can make great small-apartment furniture, as it costs next to nothing, easy to move and store away, and they generally look pretty good for a cheap furniture solution;
www.gopak.co.uk/tables/classroom-tables

Also, speak to your friends and family and see if they have any old furniture which they no longer have use for. Tell them you'd be happy to take it off their hands ;)

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now