Living room-is cream/mocha/taupe too blah?!

(6 Posts)
Blacksquirrel Fri 03-Apr-15 09:32:17

Our living room is currently magnolia (was this when moved in) we have brown leather sofas with red cushions and cream curtains with deep red tulips from Dunelm ( can't seem to link or add a photo! tbuangry) . We can't afford to change the sofas or curtains right now but want to freshen up our look with a wallpapered feature wall & fresh paint.

I am drawn towards beige/cream colours and scared to leave my comfort zone. The only wallpapers I seem to like a floral and I'm not sure whether to trust my own taste.

I'm so confused and we wanted to make a start next week!! Should I add more colour?

yomellamoHelly Fri 03-Apr-15 09:41:15

Don't think it is. Depends how you finish it off. We had perfectly taupe in our last lounge and it was really lovely (completely different at night) and would like it again (current lounge has bare plaster walls!). If you like florals why not experiment with cushions, lampshades etc as a gentle way in. You can always take them back to the shop if you don't like them or change them when you get fed up.

MrsGPie01252 Fri 03-Apr-15 10:06:15

Go and get loads of samples and make a mood board. Paints look totally different in different lights so paint sons a3 sheets with tester pots. I'm personally not a fan of a feature wall. Better off putting up some nice piccies. The Range is brilliant for affordable by fab canvas art, etc. also mirrors, etc are always beautiful. Have a look on Pinterest for ideas.

Devora Sat 04-Apr-15 20:44:04

It doesn't have to be blah. There's a reason why neutrals are always popular! Personally, I'd be looking for taupes and creams that are a bit cooler, a bit greyer (without being grey) as I think ones that are too yellow- or pink-toned would look a bit dated with deep red.

You've got me all intrigued now - I'm off to look at wallpaper.

Devora Sat 04-Apr-15 21:10:44

www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/scion/cedar/124253
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/spotlight/109909
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/rose-trail/110042
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/mirage/105080
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/arthouse/dante-motif-red/103160
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/english-classics/99212
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/sanderson/chinese-peony/93740
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/sanderson/dandelion-clocks/98148
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/albany-house-vinyls-9/91690
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/galerie/compass/93543
www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/arthouse/retro-leaf-red/88486

rsvdec27 Thu 10-Sep-15 11:11:11

Just found some great Arthouse wallpapers and ordered some samples.
Hoping to start decorating soon smile

www.gowallpaper.co.uk/wallpaper/contemporary-wallpaper/arthouse-wallpaper.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now