Cabin beds

(23 Posts)
VillyCazalet Thu 28-Aug-14 06:46:18

We are buying a cabin bed for ds1. He is 6. He is in a box room and it will need to last him (then ds2) a long time.

What do others recomend, in terms of specific beds/brands as well as useful/unused features? Many thanks smile

VillyCazalet Thu 28-Aug-14 09:04:42

Bump

Excitedforxmas Thu 28-Aug-14 09:10:20

My dd has the metal one from next. Git it age 6 and she's 11 now and still in it. It's a bit creaky now so don't think I,ll get much longer out of it.

VillyCazalet Thu 28-Aug-14 11:13:15

Thanks! We're wondering about wardrobe/drawers/desk/futon - what are the best features.

I wonder if wood or metal are sturdiest. Metal I guess.

PPaka Thu 28-Aug-14 11:48:54

Aspace
Not cheap though

VillyCazalet Thu 28-Aug-14 16:53:43

Aspace?

donkir Thu 28-Aug-14 17:29:13

Ikea.

PPaka Thu 28-Aug-14 18:05:43

aspace

Very good customer service

VillyCazalet Thu 28-Aug-14 20:19:06

Oh thank you, not heard of them. No to ikea, fed up with rubbish mattresses in stupid sizes!

playftseforme Thu 28-Aug-14 20:20:37

My dd has the juicy fruit midsleeper from aspace and it's excellent

Nextchapterabouttostart Thu 28-Aug-14 20:22:41

We have the Stompa one from John Lewis, with desk, shelves etc, feels very sturdy.

Moleyjay Thu 28-Aug-14 20:25:06

We've got one from Marks and Spencer bought when they had a 25% off sale. Really happy with it. They delivered and then put it all together, great if you don't like flat pack!!

VillyCazalet Thu 28-Aug-14 20:36:05

Gosh, that is expensive!!

Hadn't thought of M&S, will check them out. Thanks smile

donkir Thu 28-Aug-14 20:48:55

Great little trading company. On par price wise with aspace.

playftseforme Thu 28-Aug-14 20:52:07

Aspace always do discounts, usually 15%, but they do have extra top ups which take it to 20% - keep an eye out for them.

We've got a stompa too.
Only a few months old, but DS1 and I were in it last night. I like the chunkier ladder - its more like a staircase.

Got a desk, which isn't being used at the moment, a chest of drawers and a bookcase underneath.

Need to work out how to do a bedside table, as watching him look at his clock made me realise it can't live on the desk part.

NerfHerder Thu 28-Aug-14 21:23:08

GLTC have stopped doing a high sleeper- not sure why confused

Looking for one for DS atm too- all the best ones seem to have been discontinued (M&S had a great one a couple of years ago, when he was too young for one!)

addicted there are little add-on shelves that clip to the top part, where you can put a clock, book etc. Or you could do a good old ikea hack- a bekvam spice rack screwed to the wall, or to the bed!

ILikeToClean Thu 28-Aug-14 22:28:49

Same as Moleyjay, the one from M&S is great quality, much cheaper than Aspace and they put it together for you at no extra cost, I think they do it in white or piney wood, has a pull out desk, drawers and end shelves which you can have out separately if you wanted. It was under £500 iirc. HTH smile

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 28-Aug-14 22:33:55

We have just got rid of all Aspace furniture that hadn't broken and got ours from roomtogrow.co.uk who seem to have something for everyone.

Parietal Thu 28-Aug-14 22:46:14

rainbow wood do some very nice danish beds - some have continental (IKEA) size mattresses though, so check

MrsOomBoomBoom Sun 31-Aug-14 00:10:49

My friend has just had a carpenter build a cabin bed base with cupboards underneath, into a tiny box room for her DS. She's bought a decent mattress to go on top. Good use of space I thought.

Ds has similar to this from Thuka - he's now 11 and it's still going strong smile this

I tell him he's in it till he marries! It will convert to usual bed height when we need it to.

This is a really good price too - we originally paid £100 more for ds's from Dreams but got £100 refund (£50 cash smile £50 voucher sad ) for their absolutely dire customer service. Bed great though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now