Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Grey bedroom, too much?

(17 Posts)
Alex1984 Sat 04-Jan-14 16:06:54

Hello,
Am a novice so please be gentle. We have just moved into a seventies built family home which doesn't need much structural work but needs a lot of cosmetic stuff doing! We have just bought a grey bed (my dh really wanted it so I relented) and are now considering this wallpaper:
http://www.grahambrown.com/uk/product/31-169/glitz
To go behind the head board. I was then thinking white bedside tables and a cream carpet. Other walls would match the cream of the wallpaper. Would really appreciate your opinion on whether this would look ok or not and whether I should bring in a bright colour in the soft furnishings. Basically I think I am about to chicken out a paint the whole room magnolia (really want our house to have a homely feel unlike our last one which looked like it was a hotel as totally white with same curtains in every room).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kukeslala Sat 04-Jan-14 17:01:31

Na go for it!
I would also add splashes of a bright colour with a few things, and then if bored could cheapish/easish update the feel!

(but 2 of my walls in bedroom are grey so may be a little biased).

RobinSparkles Sat 04-Jan-14 17:04:00

I think it sounds nice. I like that wallpaper!

Alex1984 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:07:25

Thank you for your comments. Any advice on what colour kukeslala?

Sunshineonsea Sat 04-Jan-14 17:09:30

I have grey in my bedroom as well, works really well with purple
I currently have deep purple and lime green but just cushions and candles so it's easy to change it

Sunshineonsea Sat 04-Jan-14 17:11:23

I can't see the link but it sounds lovely

Alex1984 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:12:25

So you wouldn't go for colour on the curtains? Thanks this is so helpful.

Sunshineonsea Sat 04-Jan-14 17:13:48

These are in the next catalogue if you need a bit of inspiration

Alex1984 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:14:07

I just don't want to mess it up!!

kukeslala Sat 04-Jan-14 17:35:04

Same as sunshine I have purple (deep).

Alex1984 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:40:43

I never would have considered that but it sounds so luxurious! Thanks. Do you have purple or purple and grey curtains?

InsertUsernameHere Sat 04-Jan-14 18:28:56

I quite like bright green with grey - think moss on a slate roof.

Sunshineonsea Sat 04-Jan-14 20:04:21

I have purple curtains but have seen a few luxurious looking sets in metallic grey so am considering changing them

RawCoconutMacaroon Sat 04-Jan-14 20:12:44

We've just done teen DS bedroom as a proper adult room - bare varnished floor with a traditional rug (fairly blue but with red bits in the design), white metal bed (ikea) white furniture, pale gray walls with darker grey woodwork, grey/silver duvet with red sheets, and a couple of other red accents in the room. No curtains yet!
Looks great. I think pp are right - bright green and purples will also go well with greys.

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 05-Jan-14 14:24:24

I'd go for grey curtains, but bed linen in purple/fuchsia/orange, and a picture echoing the bright colours above the bed.

Alex1984 Sun 05-Jan-14 21:15:00

Brilliant. Thanks so much. Am feeling more confident now! If you are having ceiling skimmed and down lights which should you do first? Thanks again!

MillyMollyMama Sun 05-Jan-14 23:14:51

Ceiling skim first, then holes cut for lights. You cannot skim around lights in situ.

We have a grey bedroom. It is painted Cornforth White from Farrow and Ball but we have a Wimborne white ceiling and window frames. The built in wardrobes are Pointing, a soft white, also F and B. We have a luxurious pale grey wool carpet with a dark grey velvet bed. The window blinds are a grey ikat fabric from Clarke and Clarke. I will be getting a long stool covered in a pale pink and grey cut velvet called Nabucco from Designers Guild. I am picking the pink theme up with cushions and a throw. I am not a big fan of purple and grey and I think pale pink, coral or citrus/lime colours work best. There are some glorious grey bedrooms on the Houzz website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now