TV/mirror above mantelpiece?

(9 Posts)
coffeeaddict Wed 06-Nov-13 09:12:32

We are moving to a house where the main sitting room has big windows either side of the fireplace. This means locating a TV is difficult. The current owners don't have one in that room but I am realistic - we are going to want one!

My options are: buy a freestanding cabinet and put the TV in that (but it will block some light/views). Or buy one of those flat TVs that converts to a mirror and have it above the mantelpiece. But will we crane our necks watching? Will it be agony? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks!

QueenBoudicea Wed 06-Nov-13 09:16:44

Don't have it above the fireplace - o think it really spoils the look of a room.
And yes - you'll probably end up with a crick in your neck!

wonkylegs Wed 06-Nov-13 14:42:47

Don't have it above the fireplace it's too high for normal watching. It's ok in hotels etc for occasional watching, but not for everyday.

We have our Tv above the fireplace and it's fine. No cricks in our necks!

Please do not put it above the fireplace, really spoils a room IMO.

coffeeaddict Mon 11-Nov-13 12:01:48

Hmm, I think we will think again... thanks everyone!

suebfg Tue 12-Nov-13 21:03:39

Maybe consider getting rid of the fireplace and putting your TV on the wall? (Depends on the room/type of property though)

LonelyLinda Tue 19-Nov-13 14:15:22

I was told that you shouldn't have tv above the fireplace, something about the heat ruining the tv? (could just be a ploy by dp to save re-wiring tv though).

LonelyLinda Tue 19-Nov-13 14:15:41

I was told that you shouldn't have tv above the fireplace, something about the heat ruining the tv? (could just be a ploy by dp to save re-wiring tv though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now