Can anyone advise what my builder is on about?

(24 Posts)
LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 08:56:30

I haven't gone with the bathroom shop my builder wanted me to (someone who he knows, surprisingly) and every day he is coming up with new reasons why I shouldn't go with what I want. It's getting very frustrating to be honest. I have spent ages trying to source antique brass taps and finally found them for every sink etc. Now he has emailed this:

''A couple of points that have occurred to me before you order up the bathroom taps and shower; these will almost certainly need flow restrictors fitted to comply with the Code 3. They are normally just a small part that screws on to the spout of the tap but you will need to make sure that they are made (and ordered) for your particular taps.''

Can anyone tell me what he is on about? Surely any tap with a nozzle on will look ridiculous. How would you do it with a waterfall tap or large Victorian style bath tap? Are there any other options?

LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 10:21:29

And now he is telling me I might not be able to have a double ended bath as some Code 3 houses have bath size restrictions on!

None of this was an issue when his mate was supplying the hardware (same size bath)
angry

Rumplestiltskinismyname Fri 01-Nov-13 10:23:42

I'm confused...is the property a new build? Code level 3 is the sustainability rating for newbuilds homes.

ouryve Fri 01-Nov-13 10:23:49

The bath sounds like he might be having you on, but the taps need to not be able to suck dirty water back into the mains water, iirc.

Rumplestiltskinismyname Fri 01-Nov-13 10:28:11

The flow restrictors are to make the water airated. It makes you feel like you have a lot of water coming out whilst not a lot is actually coming out. It is a water saving thing.

The bath restrictors may be one of two things- again to airate the water, or to prevent the water from getting too hot.

We mainly used them on newbuilds social housing which have to reach certain energy standards in order to get government funding.

Does your planning (if you've got it?) stipulate code 3 is achieved?

Rumplestiltskinismyname Fri 01-Nov-13 10:29:32

Ignore about the bath- I didn't read your post properly... I don't remember size restrictions on baths! (Caveat- it's a few years since I worked in te industry!!)

LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 12:56:35

Yes it is a new build and we have to get Code 3 but what I don't understand is why the previous quote (from his friend) has no mention of these special screw on filters... Anyway I have managed to get hold of someone in the know at the tap supplier who says that although they have never heard of this before they have an adaptor for low pressure taps we can fit to the taps I want.
Architect says it applies if we use 105L of water per person per day! I think we is saying only need these filters if we do, and there is no chance of that!
Silly builder; he knows it is just me and DD living there!
Pleased about the bath, it seemed a bit excessive!

LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 13:03:49

Think I am just having a little moan really as it seems anything I try to do that isn't completely plain, I can't have. I wanted a laundry chute - builder said no. I wanted pull out cupboards on runners under the stairs - builder couldn't source any strong enough... etc etc. It feels a bit like I am only allowed to build a box, what with that and the Planning Permission stipulations!

LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 13:06:07

Meant to say thank you to everyone who posted! smile

purplewithred Fri 01-Nov-13 13:07:41

sounds like you need a new builder to be honest.

Rumplestiltskinismyname Fri 01-Nov-13 13:18:11

Not sure how is working for who here!!! You should be able to have what you want! With the restrictors make sure you know that after the build is complete and you have your energy certificate you can uninstall anything that is 'annoying'- I.e flow restrictors.

Rumplestiltskinismyname Fri 01-Nov-13 13:18:34

Who is working for who... Not how...

member Fri 01-Nov-13 13:23:11

Isn't it just that the new taps his mate would have supplied are made to a spec that already water saves whereas antique taps wouldn't? [haven't really much idea what I'm talking about but want to be helpful emotion]

LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 17:07:15

They aren't real antique taps - just an antique brass finish. He has seen pictures of them and knows this. Rumple that is what I am worrying about; that I am feeling I have to make do with what he wants to do rather than get it right first time. I am definitely aiming not going to have a list of things I need someone else to come in and do after they leave, and that is the way it is feeling at the moment!
Thanks again everyone!

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Fri 01-Nov-13 17:14:24

I second the needing a new builder.

I'd email him telling him that as far as you are concerned, he appears to be throwing up roadblocks at every possible opportunity and you don't think the relationship is currently working. Tell him you don't understand all his jargon, and if he thinks there is an issue he needs to explain it in normal english and point you towards the actual rule where it says you can't have 'X'. Then see if he can or if he is just being a dick.

If there are actual rules - fine, you have to work within them. But it sounds like he is just refusing to do anything remotely hard/that his mate won't profit from.

DebrisSlide Fri 01-Nov-13 17:15:13

You need to speak to your Code Assessor and get them to talk to your builder about what you need to do comply with the WAT 1 section of the Code. They should be in contact anyway for all the other parts.

LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 17:42:14

Thing is it seems to be nearly finished now; plastering going on at the moment, so the main body is all done. I just don't want to clash on every fitting here-on in because it doesn't fit with his personal taste.

The chute annoyed me as he said it wasn't on the plans they got, and I know full well it was and we even spoke about it in our first meeting. I felt a bit like I should let it slide though when I asked about it and he said he had never done one before. It didn't feel very safe after he admitted that (worse he was asking me how to do it!) especially with a toddler!

Half of me thinks we have got this far without any upset, I should just keep putting my foot down, or it could take a lot longer to complete.

LioninthecauldronFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 17:44:16

Debris he got sent a pack by them when it was assessed, and the architect got it too. Only thing is the architect still looks at it and the builder only seems to when it suits him to pick holes in something 'out of the ordinary'.

I'm sure I am his nightmare client and it works both ways, but I think that I have stayed quite calm in reality!

DebrisSlide Fri 01-Nov-13 18:14:25

To be fair, the assessor should have talked to you about your plumbing specification, so that you order stuff that complies. You need to run the products passed the assessor, so that they can plug it into the water calculator and see what's what and see if they have any workarounds. There's on here for you to stick in your flow rates etc

The builder actually seems to be looking out for you, in his own way. It's up to you to make sure that you comply with the Code, with advice from all of your team (assessor, architect, builder).

Flow restrictors are fine - after all, they only need to be shown to be bought/installed so that you get your Post Completion Certificate for the Code, then you can do what you like grin.

LioninthecauldronFucker Sat 02-Nov-13 21:57:28

I'm sure he is. I think he is pretty good and nice, it's just frustrating at times. I have been hunting down appliances over the last couple of days so the architect can calculate our likely water usage. Bureaucracy at it's finest! smile Thanks for your help.

notamumlol Fri 15-Nov-13 09:13:14

You know builders will allways use laws and regulations as an excuse to escape duties and lack of materials.....

I remember when my mum was having windows fitted, the guy was allways banging on about fire safety and easy access, only to find they dont have a huge inventory and the windows she wanted were harder to obtain than the windows they already had in stock.....

notamumlol Fri 15-Nov-13 09:16:33

In comparison to my aunt who is wealthy they will bend over backwards to achieve what she wants.....

wonkylegs Sat 16-Nov-13 15:05:00

Sometimes regulations do make it more difficult to do stuff.
A good builder/architect/engineer will work with the client to make what they want work within the regulations where possible. However that might come in as costing more and clients often don't want to pay more. Some builders/architects are on very tight margins and the time it takes to work out a non standard option will not be paid for by the client and so it's a lot easier to just say no.
I have a lot of clients who want more than they originally asked, for but preferably to come in under budget - I will certainly give it my best but usually I'm not a magician and non standard work will cost more even if it's just in time. At the end of the day for smaller contractors/consultants margins are often tight and we can't work for free.
I charge for my time (often only nominally) and therefore I will try my best to make even non standard requests work.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/improving-the-energy-efficiency-of-buildings-and-using-planning-to-protect-the-environment/supporting-pages/code-for-sustainable-homes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now