Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

will I regret cream sofa + kids??

(37 Posts)
Annie456 Sat 26-Oct-13 18:29:00

I've just moved into a new house and have been sofa shopping..i've found a beautiful cream sofa (which comes in a range of other colours but I've fallen for the cream). I've got a 2yo DS and just about to have another DC...will I really regret it? DH keeps referring to jam on toast, muddy shoes and cat paws. tell me he's wrong!!!!

yawningbear Sun 27-Oct-13 13:49:49

Yes. Agree completely with pacific. DP has a precious sofa, purchased pre DC and for us cost €€€. For the past 4.10 years it has been covered with crappy throw after crappy throw, that in themselves has cost me a fortune in getting cleaned after someone gets milk, urine, vomit, cheese dippers on them. Fek I hate that sofa.

According to DP we maybe able to unveil it again in 2015.

Unfortunately wipe clean brown leather is your own way to go.

MmeLindor Germany Sun 27-Oct-13 13:55:49

Depends how picky you are.

We have the Ektorp. Bought it when DD was 2yr old, and DD a baby. They are 11 and 9yrs old now and it still looks fairly decent. Getting a bit threadbare but no really horrible stains.

It helps massively that it has removable covers, otherwise it would be covered in ink, yogurt and vomit stains.

Annie456 Sun 27-Oct-13 17:31:35

Ok! Ok! Ok! I get it...no cream sofa grin( so ill probably get one in dark grey and fill it with lighter cushions and a throw...though has anyone successfully covered a sofa with a throw without it looking like a decorating sheet??!
confused

mathanxiety Sun 27-Oct-13 17:45:36

Don't bother with a throw. Cushions (with removable and washable covers) are better. Walls or curtains can be light coloured.

Tubemole1 Sun 27-Oct-13 17:47:13

Yes.

thenightsky Sun 27-Oct-13 17:47:47

My previous sofa was cream. It wasn't so much the kids' shoes, jam etc, but rather people leaning against or brushing past it in the same spots whilst wearing jeans. Jeans, no matter how old and well-washed, leave blue stains all over cream sofas.

Karbea Sun 27-Oct-13 19:05:29

I nearly got a white leather sofa when I was single (no kids, animals, husband) but decided against it, because I was told dark blue jeans would rub off on it. I would never do it with kids.

Aw, Annie, I hope you don't feel we are all terrible spoilsports.
Consider us Good Fairygodmothers who prevented you from succumbing a Terrible Fate grin.

I bet your new living room will be fab and by the time it's covered in lots of toys and the general detritus of Living With Children the discussion about 'Should I have a cream sofa?' will be remembered with incredulous fondness

wonkylegs Sun 27-Oct-13 20:40:08

I know everybody seems to think the only work if you are precious about them buy ours really has been fine. Same goes for our pale carpets.
I don't make anybody take off their shoes (unless caked in mud), DS isn't allowed to eat dinner on the sofa (but that's more because I prefer us to eat at the table)
I've only washed the covers when there has been a big accident and when we moved house.
I guess we've been lucky but I thought they were going to be a terrible idea and nine years on I think I've been proved wrong.
Silk cushions however have been a nightmare and wouldn't get them again.

Annie456 Sun 27-Oct-13 20:52:32

Nobody else is allowed to come out I support of the cream sofa!!! I've accepted it..the huge sisal rug is being made as we speak so that will "lighten" the room, huge over mantel mirror is coming on weds and then I might just live in it for a bit with my existing (very tired and old) brown leather sofa and get something non leather in the jan sales (I never bonded with the leather sofa...) I'm just in nesting-overdrive but the sofa will have to give...this time! sad

mathanxiety Sun 27-Oct-13 21:44:29

Well as I mentioned I am now on my second one, because I love the look. But I have to say I really like being able to take the covers off and wash them. It also makes the place smell nicer -- one drawback of the old cream sofa was that it was definitely a bit whiffy.

puddingpie12 Sun 27-Oct-13 23:53:55

Possibly yes. My gorgeous cream sofa got ruined when I moved in with my boyfriend- wrecked way before the baby came along! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now