Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Would you have plain or patterned blinds/curtains in this sitting room?

(7 Posts)
workingtitle Tue 24-Sep-13 07:00:21

Our sitting room has parquet flooring, walls in F&B strong white (a very pale grey), one sofa in dark grey and one in duck egg blue.
We then have multicoloured things shown in the pics - a big rug from anthropologie and these cushions.
I need coverings for a big bay window, and can't decide if plain fabric will be best given everything else going on in the room, or if it will be just too much of a block of one colour.
Any thoughts? And if a plain colour, what would look best? Thanks

I always prefer plain white or off white curtains myself.

workingtitle Tue 24-Sep-13 11:23:30

Thanks, overmydeadbody. Maybe a cream would be best, as long as it looks OK with pale grey...

cream should be fine with pale grey, it is all neautral and the point of a neautral palatte is that it is unobtrusive and not really noticable.

We you be making them yourself or buygin them? It's just that Ikea have a very good weight off white curtain fabric that would work really well. John Lewis also sell a good weight and quality off white curtain fabric.

debsdoodaa Wed 25-Sep-13 12:30:16

I would bring the grey element in and have made roman blinds in a shot silk fabric to match with the dark grey of your sofa.

Then have some static (not working) hand made curtains, in a cream material (to match the background of the cushions) with a banding of the grey silk from the roman blinds (about the bottom quarter) giving you a dressed window that works with existing colours. Don't hold/tie the curtains back and make the heading at the top chunky by lining with black out.

EastwickWitch Wed 25-Sep-13 13:15:28

No advice, but wanted to say I love the rug. Anthropologie have sold out in the big size, I've been eyeing it up for weeks envy

workingtitle Thu 26-Sep-13 08:46:40

Thanks for the fabric suggestions, overmydeadbody, we'll be having them made so I'll need t source fabric.

And thanks also for the suggestion of blinds plus curtains, debsdoodaa - I hadn't thought of that so will talk it through with our curtain maker.

I think cream will work well though, or grey.

EastwickWitch it is really lovely I must say, unusual though--more of a tapestry than a rug! I need to find some thick underlay/liner for it, and I think it might be difficult to keep clean. But so pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now