Wooden flooring

(12 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Mon 16-Sep-13 13:19:49

I had my heart set on walnut floors for the playroom.

I'm told engineered wood is best by one salesman whilst another is recommending Karndean or Amtico.

WHICH?!! blush

I have 4 dcs and 2 dogs and it's a high traffic area.

quoteunquote Mon 16-Sep-13 20:34:40

What is your furniture like?

dark wood flooring are becoming a bit yesterday now,

the light oaks are very good,

I would go for solid wood, because you do have such high traffic, it can be re sanded and it will look good as it ages.

What other wood have you got going on in the vicinity?

What is your colour palette for the surrounding space, what hight are your ceilings, what period of property?

I'm hankering after a large herringbone oak parkay, for my downstairs, I must get round to doing it.

WinkyWinkola Tue 17-Sep-13 08:14:19

Property is an old farmhouse with some newly built parts.

Furniture is dark grey sofa and curtains with bright cushions and rugs.

I am thinking lighter oak now. I love the milky chocolate of walnut but I guess it's too dark really.

Real wood too.

valiumredhead Tue 17-Sep-13 09:40:19

Light oak is lovely and really hard wearing.

quoteunquote Tue 17-Sep-13 10:42:48
valiumredhead Tue 17-Sep-13 12:11:41

What's the difference between parquet flooring and herringbone? We had parquet flooring growing up and I remember it being very hard to keep looking nice.

quoteunquote Tue 17-Sep-13 13:26:06

You may of had a polished parquet flooring, nowadays modern products and equipment make it easy,

you can varnish it like any other wooden flooring,

Herringbone is just the pattern it can be laid in.

Just make sure you get someone skilled in laying it, what ever wooden flooring you do choose.

WinkyWinkola Thu 26-Sep-13 18:18:46

Where is best place to buy wood/engineered wood?

There is such a big range online that I'd like to go with recommendations.

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 18:33:53

Ours was from howdens iirc. 25 quid a square meter compared to the same in John Lewis which was 90 shock I was shocked when our chippy told us!

BlackMogul Thu 26-Sep-13 19:27:11

We used 1926 Trading Company in Daventry , Northamptonshire. Engineered is best. It is like a sandwich and is structurally stronger than real wood, less likely to warp etc. Real wood is not so widely available now. Wood goes in fashions. We have a whitened oak engineered plank. The plank floors are more expensive than the strip ones. Any good make is fine. We used Khars. (I think). Amtico is vinyl and not wood. You could get quotes for both. If you look at 1926 they will give you a good idea of price. I would recommend their stock and they have a big warehouse. Cheaper wood floors may have a lot of knots, be really thin ( top veneer ) and will almost certainly be strip ie narrow. I think a farmhouse needs a plank/wide board floor to look authentic.

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 21:28:16

Sorry, per pack bit square meter.

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 21:38:25

Not, not bit. Bloody phone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now