I am so really really rubbish with colours - please can I have some advice

(17 Posts)

If I ever get a colour scheme that works in a room it is by complete accident.

We are going to need to repaint our chimney breast soon as we are having some urgent remedial work being done but I don't want to do the whole room because we like the colour on the walls and the carpet is only a year old.

At the moment I have:
light green carpets
dark green sofas
pale yellow cream walls.
and a wood burner.

room faces south west and is pretty small really.

chimney breast was a pale green colour but that was a rubbish choice, it looks dull and institutional.

So what colour should we paint it? Should we go dark or light? should I go greener? Get away from green? I have no idea at all.

LilyBossom Tue 10-Sep-13 11:00:32

I would go purple, and get some purple cushions and maybe a rug.

sewingandcakes Tue 10-Sep-13 11:09:47

Paint it white and get some pictures/wall art etc in green and yellow to go with the carpet and walls?

Maybe white is a good way forward actually. Hadn't considered that.

Not convinced on the purple only cos I tried it once - in the alcoves and it was really really dreadful. dh still teases me about that.

What about a chocolate brown?

mummaemma Tue 10-Sep-13 14:26:18

bit tricky to help without seeing the room. Can you upload a picture?

GrrArgh Tue 10-Sep-13 14:35:03

I would go with white too, definitely not purple or chocolate brown (sorry).
At the very least, white paint is the cheapest and if you decided in a couple of months that it was wrong, you haven't lost anything.
I think the green and yellow will be playing off each other in a sunny room, and you need something entirely neutral and understated to tone it down a little.

mummaemma Tue 10-Sep-13 14:37:46

i think it needs to be a darker colour than the walls

GrrArgh Tue 10-Sep-13 14:40:08

Here is a good site top get colour palettes and inspiration, Design Seeds.

GibberTheMonkey Tue 10-Sep-13 14:42:06

Also try pinterest for ideas

GibberTheMonkey Tue 10-Sep-13 14:46:46

I would also go with white I think.

Sorry, can't upload a picture - I do try and not out myself too much.
Maybe white is the way forward. Fortunately we have wall paper on there at the moment that will be being torn off, so I can easily play with some tester pots.
So you don't think like a mocha or something then?
I'll have a look at design seeds - thanks smile

sewingandcakes Tue 10-Sep-13 15:59:14

I'm not sure about a brown, unless maybe a very pale one. I think with the green and yellow adding another colour would be too much.

I used to think white was dull but now most of my house is white, with bright colours in furnishings and pictures on the walls, and it really makes the colours stand out.

ZingWantsCake Tue 10-Sep-13 16:07:13

I'd do some shade of red or a mint green.

Journey Tue 10-Sep-13 16:18:16

I'd go for the same colour as the walls. The feature should be the actual wood burner and not the chimney breast. A dark green sofa against pale yellow cream walls is quite a statement in itself.

I wish I could remember the colour that we painted the walls! It would make life so much simpler. Sadly we don't have the old paint tin. Journey you are being very polite about our statement combination grin

If I was starting again I'd go for white walls, but I really really don't want to risk our carpet and no matter how careful I am, I'm a rubbishy untidy painter.

I take that back!!!!!! I just re-examined our old paint tins and I think pale yellow cream= almond white shock I've just done some test patches on the breast next to the wall to see and dabbed a bit on some hidden wall to see if it blends in

Houston, we might have a solution!

GibberTheMonkey Tue 10-Sep-13 18:09:12

If you have the paint then agree, make it all the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now