Have I done the right thing? Living room wall colour

(9 Posts)
nicelyneurotic Mon 22-Jul-13 23:09:26

Hi, another option is to mix 50% magnolia with 50% white. Takes the edge off the white but still looks clean and light.

snowgal Sun 21-Jul-13 14:51:21

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice it's really appreciated

Zyngaling Sat 20-Jul-13 23:46:02

Leave the wall opposite the window white though. Less work and one white wall would still be nice.

snowgal Sat 20-Jul-13 23:24:42

Ooo thanks for the Perfectly Taupe suggestion, I'm liking that, never come across it before...! Would you say it was a warm or cool colour?

Roshbegosh Sat 20-Jul-13 06:11:30

Perfectly taupe?

Roshbegosh Sat 20-Jul-13 06:08:31

Change it if you don't like it, DH and I spent a day doing that as a white came up pink and I hated it. It's only one coat of emulsion and honestly worth the effort and few hours of time. Those nearly white colours look very different once they are up. Think about the tone you want, greyish, bluish, greenish etc and go for it.

snowgal Thu 18-Jul-13 13:31:36

Ooo difficult question, it's very white! The dulux website calls it: an off white which doesn't feel as cold as standard white - perhaps not very helpful. link

I painted my son's room in the same colour and love it, but that might be because his room is more a finished article, with pictures, furniture etc...

KateCroydon Thu 18-Jul-13 13:24:52

What kind of white is it? Blue-ish, grey-ish, yellow-ish...

snowgal Thu 18-Jul-13 13:20:11

We moved into our 1970s bungalow about 6 months ago and I have never liked the colour of the living rooms walls. They were a light brown colour (cappuccino?), a colour I dislike and don't go with anything we have or would like to have. We currently have two black Ektorp sofas and green/blue/black curtains - I don't personally like either of these as I'm more of a bright colours girl - so I decided to paint the walls in Dulux White Cotton to give me a neutral base to start planning a colour scheme from.

Unfortunately I really don't like it! I'm not sure if it's because it's such a stark difference from what we had, if it's because it really highlights the darkness of the sofa/curtains, or if it was really just a very bad decision!!!

Eventually we will change the sofas and curtains but I could do with something that will do for now. I'm hoping to get this rug from Habitat, because I have loved it for years, which I hope will be the start of a colour scheme, and to tie in curtains with at least one of the colours from the rug.

Basically I'm looking for advice about whether I should persevere with the wall colour or if anyone has any suggestions? I like Scandinavian styles, plain with splashes of colour/funky pieces rather than very themed rooms. Oh and the room is basically east facing with a huge window so it's generally very light. Oak floors, oak mantlepiece and wooden doors/window frames. White skirting, we don't have much other furniture in there at the mo.

Many thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now