Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Matching headboard, valance and curtains required...

(11 Posts)
AaDB Fri 21-Jun-13 22:42:13

Right. I'm going to try making a headboard. I'm going to look for curtains to be made and get some extra fabric.

Fast Fri 21-Jun-13 20:53:45

I can't sew at all so curtains are way beyond me but I have re-covered a headboard. More or less exactly how Happy has described except I didn't bother with extra padding as it didn't need it (I just stapled the fabric over the existing foam and fabric.) The secret is to have someone help you pull it taut as you go along and use lots of staples.
I only spent £10 on fabric and had enough left for a pair of small cushions (friend helped me out making them).

Herhonesty Thu 20-Jun-13 13:06:19

The dormy house

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 18-Jun-13 20:08:34

I am not at all handy, but I think I would have a go at the headboard at least. I think you need to use extra foam padding, cover the headboard with fabric and pull it very taut, and then use a staple gun to secure the fabric and make sure your corners are neat. It sounds as if it could be possible, anyway. Buy its easy to make something sound easy, isnt it. Doing it is another matter!

AaDB Tue 18-Jun-13 13:27:17

I'll have a look, thanks.

I wish I was handy. I think if I could get curtains made I may be able to do something with a valance and covering a headboard. £350 seems way too much for this. Off to pinterest...

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 17-Jun-13 21:42:53

Laura ashley offers this. I doubt it would be cheaper than next though.

AaDB Mon 17-Jun-13 21:41:33

What a shame, thanks though.

bodiddly Mon 17-Jun-13 21:36:01

I could have helped but am in north London/Hertfordshire. Have you considered John Lewis? You would probably be best with a little local curtain company to be honest.

AaDB Mon 17-Jun-13 18:49:54

Sorry, I should have mentioned; I'm in the Midlands. I'm looking at made to measure. I have non standard bay windows.

bodiddly Mon 17-Jun-13 18:39:35

Whereabouts are you?

AaDB Mon 17-Jun-13 17:50:27

Can anyone recommend a company?

I see Next has a made to measure service that can do this at a price £££.

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now