Help with hall please

(15 Posts)

The hall and landing need re-painting, as they are starting to look a bit shabby. Dp will only contemplate shades of cream or v pale beige, so can you please recommend something lovely that won't look tatty too quickly? I like warm shades, so think coffee liqueur/biscotti rather than magnolia please. smile

JellySnake Sun 05-May-13 19:31:25

Dulux Natural Hessian is worth a try. We've used it for the last 15 years in our hall and it still looks good.

Brilliant - thank you. I shall investigate immediately! 15 years of repainting in the same colour, do you mean? How often has it needed re-doing?

JellySnake Sun 05-May-13 20:01:38

Yes 15 years of repainting. We reckon it's three times. We have two teenage DSs and it seems to have worn really well, in fact we've just repainted it after a gap of eight years. It is done in matt finish as well. Still not tired of it.

Thanks Jelly.

JellySnake Sun 05-May-13 20:10:22

smile you're welcome

KelleStar Sun 05-May-13 20:17:50

Snap! Natural Hessian fans here too, we painted ours in silk 9 years ago and it still looks great, love the way the silk reflects the light well. We have a window on the landing and a small obscured pane in the door, so not lots of natural light.

Thanks Kelle - will send dp for a tester pot. smile

We got the tester and it's lovely! They do an Endurance range too and the colour comes up a tiny bit lighter than the silk (plus it says it's more hardwearing) so I think we're going to go for that.

Thanks again. smile

Roshbegosh Tue 14-May-13 22:31:28

Just painted the hall in natural hessian, thanks for the tip, love it. Good timing.

Are you pleased with it, Rosh? We're still tossing up between Natural hessian and a v pale grey. I think I like Hessian better though.

Roshbegosh Wed 15-May-13 20:58:29

It is lovely, it's warm, soft and subtle. If you prefer the cooler tones you might like the grey better but I prefer warm tones. Good luck with your decision.

benlinus Fri 17-May-13 08:24:50

i think a light color especially if this is a small space. probably something neutral. consider your overall planning of painting colors / furnishings and how the total picture will look before spending the time and money if you are not sure yet.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 17-May-13 08:30:44

We recently painted out hall in a Dulux Light and Space colour - a really whitey cream colour. I know you didn't want magnolia, but I was impressed with the range and coverage was good. I think halls can often be a bit poky if you're not careful!

We're going with the hessian. The grey is too cool and I deffo prefer warmer tones. The hall has high ceilings and gets a good bit of natural light, so I think it will be fine. Also, this way we can keep the current carpet and if we went with the grey, we'd need to change it.

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now