The front of my house is so boring!!

(6 Posts)
10storeylovesong Sat 01-Jun-13 19:53:48

My house sounds very similar to yours. We put a number plate outside similar to this and have had lots of compliments, even neighbours knocking on to ask where it was from.

www.amazon.co.uk/Brushed-Aluminium-Acrylic-Custom-GOS928/dp/B007OKRPB6/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1370112701&sr=1-7&keywords=personalised+house+plaques

I have just got some really nice but inexpensive willow screening, hanging baskets all in willow & cone shaped - looks v smart and will stand out against the painted wall.

How about a nice light/lantern above/beside the front door? jim-lawrence.co.uk do lovely ones...

Bonsoir Mon 06-May-13 12:36:15

Why don't you paint your house very pale pink rather than cream? And then you need to plant a creeper.

Mum2Fergus Wed 01-May-13 08:19:55

Start with making sure its all clean and in a good state of repair. Have a good look at the neighbours to see what works/doesnt work. Flower box would be nice (water out the window of ledge it sits on, and make sure its secure!). How about a hanging basket? Or some small pots aside the door? All cheap but pleasing. A covered entrance may work ( I know they have a name but cant think of it at the moment lol) like a small apex roof above front door with trellis or an arch leading up to it?

Try all those things smile

Anything you don't like don't keep - none of them are huge expenses.

I want to make it look nice/cosy/quirky but not stand out like a sore thumb.
We are a mid (well we're next to the alleyway) terrace. Victorian and very little. Our front door is straight onto the path.
It's not brick on the front annoyingly as I'd love that but is plastered? I think. We need to re paint that. Down our street are whites and creams so I thought cream would look nice (tempting to do other colourise but won't.) we have a UPC door which is really boring but we'll keep and one bottom window and one bedroom window.
So I was thinking maybe a new number? I want it to look nice not tacky. Is a name for a house pretentious? Not like "ffossip" or anything!
Also we have a little windowsill off the bedroom, and the windo only has a top opening window. Would a flower trough be ok? How would we water it?
Sorry that's a right ramble but I hate how bleugh it looks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now