Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What colour can i dye my pale green sofa covers? Who knows about this stuff?

(6 Posts)
MandragoraWurzelstock Sun 14-Apr-13 12:52:52

What are they made from? Is it's cotton it'll be Ok but my betting is on the stitching being polyester - and that won't dye. So if you're happy with pale seams on a dark base then go for it.

Sorry!

quoteunquote Sun 14-Apr-13 12:48:29

To be honest I can't remember, it was one of the dylon ones, not helpful sorry,

Just think of it in the same way as when you mix paints, the base colour will set the tone, and it always going to be darker that works.

nevergoogle Sat 13-Apr-13 22:08:21

quoteunquote, which purple dye did you use to get the dark plum colour?

nevergoogle Sat 13-Apr-13 18:37:05

ooh i assumed i could only really go darker green.

hmm, dark plum...

quoteunquote Sat 13-Apr-13 18:30:45

Dark plum, only because I dyed some pale green curtains, and it worked, with the machine dye.

Weigh them before you start so you know how many packets to use, then just make sure you give them a really good wash and rinse first, be generous with the dye to get a strong colour, you can always put them straight through again if you think it not dark enough.

Then follow the instructions, then wash at least twice before drying, to avoid any dye coming off, then run the machine through on a 90 wash with soda crystals, to avoid any dye being left in the machine.

Don't overload the machine the more room in the drum the more even the cover.

nevergoogle Sat 13-Apr-13 11:57:45

Looking for any advice please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now