Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Looking to re cover our sofa, where to go???

(7 Posts)
awol1980 Wed 10-Apr-13 14:29:45

Hi,

I would greatly appreciate any advise from anyone out there please!!
I need to re cover our sofa but have had plumbs round for a quote today and the quoted nearly £1300!
I have a large L shaped sofa that needs new covers, any ideas for anywhere cheaper? Plumbs did say they could supply the material if I could get someone else to make the covers. The material would cost approx £300.
Thank you

snowgal Wed 10-Apr-13 14:38:40

Watching with interest as we have a sofa which is dire need of a makeover! One of my friends has offered to help me reupholster it but it seems like such a huge undertaking. Interested that plumbs say they supply the fabric.

partystress Wed 10-Apr-13 19:17:06

We got a quote from Plumbs for 2 sofas and it was jaw dropping. They took nearly a third off, but it was really for loose covers, not proper upholstering. In the end we found a small, local company who had a better choice of fabrics and did a fab proper reupholstering job (including new cushion pads) for about 80% of Plumbs loose covers quote.

herhonesty Thu 11-Apr-13 03:17:39

Look up a local upholsterer in your yellow pages. Rarely a cheap option however, I had an armchair done for near £500. Upholstery fabric usually starts at around £30. You canhowever get good bargains on ebay. Don't buy from plumbs, you'll be paying extra for their markup.

SallyBear Fri 12-Apr-13 05:35:26

Sometimes it's just cheaper to just junk the sofa and buy a new one. The cost of reupholstery can be extortionate. But if you're happy with loose covers and can measure the sofa carefully and accurately then Plumbs have a sister company. I used them for an armchair. It was ok, but the fit under the chair arms (mine are fat and round looking) could have been better. www.covermyfurniture.com/

bodiddly Fri 12-Apr-13 09:06:42

Whereabouts are you? If you are anywhere near London I know someone.

awol1980 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:23:12

Thank you! Going to look again but for a local company I think

I'm in Portsmouth, southsea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now