grout pens to revive dirty grout - do they work? (warning - lengthy rant about grout)

(16 Posts)
fuckwittery Sat 06-Apr-13 09:16:43

I HATE white grout, why was it invented when it retains every speck of dirt. DH tiled our kitchen floor with black tiles and white grout which looked awful, as the white went gray immediately but speckly dirty gray, so obviously filthy looking. I made him scrape it all out and regrout with dark gray grout - took him hours.

Now in more wasted family time, I have spent hours over the last few days scrubbing the grubby wall tile grout in the kitchen in the property we're about to let out. Had a look on the internet and made a bicarb and bleach paste, put on with a toothbrush and scrubbed off with a wire scourer. The grout is now kind of light grubby gray rather than black, and the embossed tiles themselves look much better, but I want the grout WHITE dammit. We have spent a lot on a luxury bathroom, and can't afford to redo the kitchen at the moment, but trying to let it to the luxury professionals' market, and I have become obsessed that if the grout is not whiter than white, we will not get a tenant.
(this is not true, as the flat above let last week, and there are three people who missed out v keen to seen ours - I tried to zoom in on the marketing pictures to see the grout in upstairs flat and I suspect it is no whiter than ours).
Anyway, the reviews for the grout pens say they take ages and are really smelly (am preg) and the nibs run out quickly. Have loads of tiles to do so might need 3 x pens, so £30.
I have already spent HOURS cleaning this kitchen. I want a quick grout fix, tell me the pens work!

chocoluvva Sat 06-Apr-13 11:42:28

I think some of them do, but I can't remember which - but they do run out quickly. Vary in price enormously too.

Good luck.

Startail Sat 06-Apr-13 11:47:31

Personally I loath cleaning, so my Idea of hell would be renting an absolutely perfect house.

I'd know I was going to lose my deposited from day one.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sat 06-Apr-13 11:49:31

I feel your pain sad

I stipulate 'dirty brown grey' grout for floor tiles so they don't look dirty and I try and use an off white colour such as jasmine for wall tiles. However, I have white grout in my bathroom and its a bugger to keep white. I have regrouted some areas but find a good scrub is just as effective. I tried a grout pen but I was unimpressed.
What I am going to do when I can be bothered is scub the whole lot so it comes up white then seal the grout with an aerosol grout sealer. It cost £20 approx.

GrandPoohBah Sat 06-Apr-13 11:52:13

We had one in my student house which was kept by the loo. Kept us entertained for ages, the grout around the toilet was always whiter than white! That worked well, but I don't know how it would have stood up in the shower area.

RunningAgain Sat 06-Apr-13 11:56:27

What you need is one of those magic eraser things from the pound shop. That will definitely make tour grout clean again.

Go and buy hg mould spray. Open windows and spray the manky grout. Close the door and leave for about 30 mins. Go back and rinse. If not white enough spray again. It will smell like a swimming pool but your grout will be white with minimal effort smile. Quick google shows they also make a grout cleaner, but I've not tried that one...

RunningAgain Sat 06-Apr-13 11:57:35

your

fuckwittery Sun 07-Apr-13 11:56:34

Thanks all! Just trekked round the pound shop but couldn't find a magic eraser nor did they have any PVC glue which was the other thing on my list from there, will definitely look into grout sealer when I've finally got it clean.
Onedog do you think th pe hg mould spray would do more than the bleach I've already applied? As although it gets great reviews it seems to be v high strength bleach and I'm not sure that the remaining disclouring is actually mould but just staining from the dirt I've a,ready removed iykwim.

Hi, yep in my experience - I bought thick bleach & bleach grout pens with little/no effect. Finally parted with my £5 for the mould spray, I use it to get rid of any discolour on the grout - I live in a very hard water area and get that horrible pinky/peach staining on grout as well as occasional black mould when it hasn't been cleaned thoroughly for a while blush and it cleans it up brilliantly (and I've not had to scrub smile)

ps. if you've lakeland near you, buy it and if it doesn't work, they will refund you no question!

ethelb Sun 07-Apr-13 22:57:49

Hg mold spray is good. It just bleaches it.

CuttedUpPear Sun 07-Apr-13 23:00:57

Those grout pens are useless. Like tippex. It goes on over the top and when gets mouldy like the rest of it, except when you clean the whitened grout it flakes off revealing the grey speckles underneath.

CuttedUpPear Sun 07-Apr-13 23:01:48

Lots of cheap magic erasers on ebay btw

orangepudding Sun 07-Apr-13 23:06:40

I used this ]www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_grout_reviver.jsp in my bathroom and kitchen and was really impressed with it.

fuckwittery Mon 08-Apr-13 00:30:42

Brilliant thanks, one dog, we're in a v hard water area as well. Think I am going to do an application of hg mould spray with the polycell grout reviver afterwards. Now to tackle the greasy cooker hood!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now