Help with Farrow and Ball Colours for hallway and stairs.

(113 Posts)
deedeelondon Thu 04-Apr-13 16:24:36

Help desperately needed with colour scheme for my hallway. Been dithering for ages and have a decorator coming in two weeks time, so need to make a decision pronto!
My hallway, two stairscases and landing are narrow and fairly dark, particularly the hall. Upstairs there are east facing windows on both landings, so lots of light in the morning, but pretty dingy from mid-day onwards.
I have a longing to get away from neutrals, but think that darker colours would be too much in such a narrow space. Also the rooms which come off the landings upstairs are various shades of cream and grey, so I guess I should stick to colours which work with those colour schemes.
I'm at the point where I just want someone to make the decision for me!
I'd prefer to use Farrow and Ball, but willing to consider any other brands!
I would like to steer away from cream/yellow/brown tones - looking for something soft but clean looking which will brighten things up.

deedeelondon Fri 05-Apr-13 07:34:45

Let me know if you end up going for it Bonsoir

deedeelondon Fri 05-Apr-13 07:37:18

PrimalChic - thanks for the input about Cornforth white - it's on my list. Your living room sounds like my hallway - light in some areas at different times of the day, so it sounds like it might work for me.

MarshaBrady Fri 05-Apr-13 12:02:38

Dee have pm'd you.

deedeelondon Fri 05-Apr-13 13:56:33

Thanks Marsha

Bonsoir Tue 09-Apr-13 13:04:07

I persuaded DP quite easily in the end that our bedroom should be Calamine and we ordered it on Saturday. The painter is coming on Monday and it should take him most of next week to replaster part of the wall and paint. I am wondering whether he can do our bathroom as well in a darker pink...

deedeelondon Thu 11-Apr-13 08:59:24

Bonsoir - brilliant! Let me know how it looks when it's done. I ended up going with skimming stone after a long long discussion at the F&B shop, with wimborne white woodwork - the painter was able to start early so it's well underway now. At the moment it's looking a bit darker than I thought it would, but am reserving judgement until it's finished!

Bonsoir Thu 11-Apr-13 12:06:18

Will you post a pic please when it's finished?

deedeelondon Fri 12-Apr-13 00:04:57

Will do - you too!

deedeelondon Fri 12-Apr-13 00:07:28

p.s. am now agonising over carpet...

Bonsoir Fri 12-Apr-13 08:17:50

Yes! I will try to post pics of all three bedrooms redecorated - post-housework and on a sunny day therefore in the distant future!

deedeelondon Fri 12-Apr-13 09:30:49

Ha ha - same goes for me. Will wait till carpet's down - hopefully there will be a small window of opportunity for a nice photo whilst it still looks good! Just been looking at the colour in the morning light and I'm really happy with it.

adanac85 Wed 08-May-13 08:58:40

I was thinking dimity for my stairwell - it's a very small terraced house with a narrow set of stairs. Our kitchen is already painted in dimity and our sitting room is nutmeg white from dulux, so I think for continuity across the bottom floor, the stairs should be done in similar tones.

Can anyone suggest similar tones as dimity/nutmeg white? Preferably from either dulux or F&B?

I've tried cornforth white, skimming stone from F&B and ochre white and york white from dulux heritage. I really like the ochre white, but think it's a little bit too pale, and a bit too yellowy.

We also have an oatmealy/beigy carpet on the stairs as well, and it doesn't get that much light!

I swear I've gone through 10 testers for the stair case and don't really like any of them!

benlinus Mon 13-May-13 11:59:25

The best colors for small bathrooms are bright shades of cool colors like blue, green, white or creamy smooth. However, you can use warm colors, without giving the illusion of space, everything is in balance the way to the room. Color or absorb light or reflect it. To warm colors and use them in a low voice. Balance the effect of strong colors, keeping the base color or neutral density light (value), and the use of strong colors for emphasis. Floors and ceilings white to balance the strong tsvetove.s stronger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now