Carpet alternatives for upstairs?

(8 Posts)
lovesmileandlaugh Mon 01-Apr-13 19:53:04

Has anyone used something different to carpet upstairs? We have wooden floors throughout downstairs and would love to get rid of carpets up the stairs, landings, bedrooms and stairs and loft bedroom.

I'm mainly worried about it being cold or noisy. Was considering vinyl or laminate with rugs in the bedrooms.

Would really appreciate any thoughts?

Thank you

storytopper Mon 01-Apr-13 22:43:35

We have laminate with a few rugs. Wouldn't go back to carpets now.

lovesmileandlaugh Tue 02-Apr-13 14:46:24

Brilliant! Not too noisy then? What do you have on the stairs?

Thank you for your response grin

worthitornot Tue 02-Apr-13 14:51:43

We have wood effect vinyl (off a roll) in the living room and study. A little warmer than laminate and less noisy too... people seem to really think it's wood as it's textured so fairly convincing.

I'm intrigued to know what people would use for stairs too, i hate hoovering the stairs but can't bear the thought of them being loud with no carpet so will watch with interest!

storytopper Tue 02-Apr-13 20:01:17

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you. We painted the stairs white and bought good quality carpet treads - my DH fitted them quite easily. They help to keep the noise down.

storytopper Tue 02-Apr-13 20:05:53
lovesmileandlaugh Wed 03-Apr-13 07:20:39

Ooooh interesting! I wonder how wood effect vinyl would work on stairs? Maybe even with those treads over it.

thebestpossibletaste Sat 06-Apr-13 18:38:52

I love those stair treads. We live in a new build and the carpet on our stairs is horrid and ruined (was very cheap, fitted by builders),would I be able to paint them white and put treads down too? Do they really just stick with adhesive strips?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now