Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Painting wooden stairs

(7 Posts)
Designjunkie Fri 29-Mar-13 18:05:52

I painted my stairs a year and a half ago with Farrow & Ball floor paint in a white shade - Wimborne white and they still look as good now as when first painted. Farrow & Ball is very pricey but they are good. I've used Ronseal, Dulux and Crown in the past and unfortunately they just don't give as good a finish.

Sorry, getting confused there, thought I'd said I'd used yacht varnish.

Can't tell as the paint is yellow!

Actually it may not have been yacht varnish, might have been Ronseal Diamond Hard varnish - I see they also do a floor paint. Might be worth trying?

Not good, did the varnish give a yellowy colour to the paint underneath?

We can't carpet them as they're open which means we would have to have the naf wrap around carpet on each tread. The alternative is to box them in and carpet but its £'s

Yacht paint? Or paint and varnish? Ours were painted by the previous occupants and varnished. I revarnished about 10 years ago and haven't felt the need to revarnish since.

Gloss?

Is it painted where you walk? You might find it better to have a runner in the middle?

Help!
I had pine open tread stairs which were darkening our room so decided to paint them. I followed all the instructions and sanded, white spirit, primed, primed again and under coated twice. I then painted them with 2 coats of dulux timeless in satinwood. However the coverage hasn't been very good and now three months later the paint is wearing off.
Any recommendations on what else I could do ie what paint I can use for it to be long lasting/wearable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now