Very large rug or carpet piece for cold floor?

(7 Posts)
GirlWiththeLionHeart Wed 27-Mar-13 13:41:45

Exactly tubegirl it is just a temporary measure as I'm sick of being freezing in my living room! Plus as I'm renting, I don't want to spend too much. Good idea re double sided tape thank you

Tubegirl Wed 27-Mar-13 13:35:21

Depending on the size of the room, a carpet offcut would be ok and not roll. You can buy double sided tape to hold it down - but be sure you can get the tape off again later although there are lots of products that will remove sticky stuff. It may fray but what I took from your post is that you were less worried about the ascetics and more about the insulation underfoot. We've done this as a temporary measure until we've finished renovating as there was a draught coming up through the floorboards. Brrr.

ceeveebee Wed 27-Mar-13 13:35:05

I wouldn;t worry too much about covering the entire floor area - we have a 3m x 2m rug in our living room and there is a lot of wooden floor still uncovered, my DCs soon got used to crawling/walking on the wooden areas as well as the rug.
I did put some bright coloured foam tiles down when they first started rolling but took them up quite soon as they were pretty unattractive to look at!

starfishmummy Wed 27-Mar-13 13:08:40

I would agree with looking in Ikea if you are near one.

GirlWiththeLionHeart Wed 27-Mar-13 12:59:59

Yes it probably will roll up, you're right. Rugs are so expensive though for the size I need - 12ft x 9ft

I will ask the carpet shop about edging thank you!

ceeveebee Wed 27-Mar-13 12:52:07

I think if you bought a roll of carpet you'd probably have to get it edged to stop it fraying (we did this for a runner in our hallway - local carpet shop did it), and also would it not just curl up if its not fitted?

You can buy very cheap rugs from ikea 2m x 2m
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/Textiles/10692/

GirlWiththeLionHeart Wed 27-Mar-13 12:32:23

My living room floor is very cold original floorboards and I was wondering if buying a big rug to cover most of the floor, or just buying a roll of carpet and putting down would be cheaper?

I'm currently renting so cannot fit a carpet properly as landlord won't allow. I have a baby ds so want him to feel comfortable crawling around when he starts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now