Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Advice on/recommendations for a cheapish built-in oven?

(6 Posts)

I got a Smeg single oven from Appliances Online - can't remember the model but it was about £300 - bargain for a smeg... they were dreat re delivery etc

3littlewomen Tue 26-Mar-13 09:05:57

Yes, I was a bit skeptical at first..... But delighted with my purchase (have it a few months now). I think my model is a Daktid?

It is so nice being able to bake cakes and bread in it.... Even though I have a 4 oven AGA, it just never did a great job on cakes. The kids also spend ages watching the breads/cakes rise! confused

Laquila Mon 25-Mar-13 13:57:08

Ahhh thank you littlewomen - we did have a brief look in Ikea the other day. I couldn't believe they had one for £120 - having never bought an oven, in my head they'd all be around £500! Annoyingly, the which.com guide doesn't seem to cover the Ikea ones but they did rate Ikea joint top, with John Lewis, in their recent kitchen survey (design/installation etc overall). swoons at thought of an oven with a thermostat you can actually control

3littlewomen Mon 25-Mar-13 13:47:50

Oh and we LOVES the glass door - better then the telly when a cake is rising ;-)

3littlewomen Mon 25-Mar-13 13:46:55

Hi Laquila, I was in a very similar situation. Ended up buying a fan oven from ikea - great guarantee, great controllable oven which bakes cakes and good value for money. I particularly liked the retro cream colour and colock which works really well next to my AGA.

Laquila Mon 25-Mar-13 13:24:15

Hi all,

We have an oil-fired Rayburn with which I have a love/hate relationship. We also have a ceramic hob elsewhere in the kitchen with drawers underneath, and are thinking of removing the drawers and putting in a smallish single oven instead (leaving the Rayburn in place - it does our heating and radiators so not much choice).

Does anyone have any recommendations for relatively cheap built-in ovens with grill? I'm not really bothered about what it looks like, I'd just something reliable and relatively quick to preheat. I've had a look through the which.com Best buys and their cheapest is a Zanussi at £263, which is I guess is probably relatively cheap (considering there's also a Siemens on there for a grand!).

The cheapest one on johnlewis.com is a Beko at £185, which doesn't get very good reviews. Has anyone had a good experience with a cheap built-in oven or is one of those things we should probably be spending a bit more on? I do a lot of cooking and baking but bear in mind I'm already used to an insanely temperamental Rayburn so pretty much anything with a glass door (a glass door!!) will be a step up.

Thanks very much in advance for reading this v boring thread...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now