F&B experts needed...

(10 Posts)
Bonsoir Tue 26-Mar-13 21:34:11

If you want a strong contrast between the beneath and above of your dado rail, the darker color should be above.

Bearwantsmore Fri 22-Mar-13 18:11:44

Thanks.
I went into the local Farrow and Ball shop again today (for about the 10th time, they must think I'm mad) and think I've narrowed my choices down as I don't really want anything too greeny or yellows. So... I'm considering a combination of either skimming stone/elephants breath or strong white/cornforth white, with the second colour below the dado rail. I did for a moment consider a much darker colour under the rail, like charleston gray, but am wondering whether this would be a bit naff...

amazonianwoman Fri 22-Mar-13 17:12:39

Yes I think old white and slipper satin would look better than SS and shaded white, a bit more of a contrast!

bigyellow Fri 22-Mar-13 13:59:41

Hi
I used old white up to the dado rail and slipper satin on the walls above. The colours work brilliantly together and I am really pleased with the result. I also have a dark hallway but old white is a very subtle shade and just adds a bit of interest rather than having all the walls painted in white. Also, because the colours were quite neutral, we could be quite bold with the stair runner.

amazonianwoman Fri 22-Mar-13 09:50:11

It's a kind of olive grey. I thought it was dark until it covered all the walls but it's still very light. I think it's a very stylish colour grin

There wouldn't be that much of a contrast between shaded white and slipper satin. I much prefer shaded white, it's more interesting. Our hall is light upstairs but small and dark downstairs and it works fine. The woodwork is Wimborne white.

Bearwantsmore Fri 22-Mar-13 06:28:26

Thanks Amazonian, what is shaded white like the? Is is greyish? How dark is it? I do actually have a tester for it so have some on the wall and it's looking darker than slipper satin.

Another thought I've had is to use 2 colours. One above and one below the dado rail. Do you think there'd be enough of a contrast to use slipper satin above and shaded white below?

amazonianwoman Fri 22-Mar-13 05:31:36

Shaded White is beautiful. We have it in our hall and it goes well with two rooms painted in slipper satin. It looks nothing like the colour swatch though!

Bearwantsmore Fri 22-Mar-13 02:13:30

Thank you! I really like skimming stone so that's good to hear.

Has anyone used Old White??

I went with skimming stone in the lightest room and satin slipper in the darkest room. They match very well.

Bearwantsmore Tue 19-Mar-13 19:36:21

So.... another Farrow and Ball shades of white question. I'm afraid.

I have chosen Slipper Satin for our bedrooms but am stuck with the hallway. There is little to no natural light so this seems to make colours appear darker... Tricky. What I am after is a white which will go with the greyish tone of Slipper Satin but not be too cold. Or too a grey. I'd just go for a pure white but think this may be too harsh. At ideas?

I thought Wimborne White might fit the bill but its looking a bit too creamy/yellowy.
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now