Cost of alcove shelving?

(9 Posts)
oxcat1 Tue 22-Jan-13 08:36:39

I'm after some shelving built into the alcoves either side of my fireplace, rather like this. Have you any idea how much it is likely to cost to get a handyman to knock some up?

Thanks

lolalotta Tue 22-Jan-13 13:48:28

Blumin' heck Ox, they are exactly what I after if we manage to buy the house we have our eye on, thank you SO much for the inspiration!!! I'm hoping to put a little wood burner in the hearth too.... grin

oxcat1 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:22:10

Well I'm glad! What's even better is that I had a handyman round this afternoon to give us a quote - spur of the moment thing - so I'll let you know what he says so you've got a ballpark figure.

And good luck with buying the house!

lolalotta Wed 23-Jan-13 06:12:23

That would be handy Ox, thank you! grin
They will look beautiful if you manage to find someone to do the work, I am sure!!!! smile Good Luck!

MustafaCake Wed 23-Jan-13 10:36:06

Ooh thanks for this, was just logging on to ask similar!

We are due to exchange on a victorian house in the next few weeks and want to get exactly these things built. I will be showing your picture as an example of what I want!

RatherNot Wed 23-Jan-13 16:48:19

I came across this company when I was considering alcove shelves who supply alcove kits : www.diyalcovecupboards.co.uk

- no idea how reliable they are as I didn't get them in the end, but they may be worth considering if your handyman comes out more expensive.

RatherNot Wed 23-Jan-13 16:48:37

I came across this company when I was considering alcove shelves who supply alcove kits : www.diyalcovecupboards.co.uk

- no idea how reliable they are as I didn't get them in the end, but they may be worth considering if your handyman comes out more expensive.

BettyandDon Wed 23-Jan-13 16:50:34

I thought about getting those and was quoted £750 per alcove in SW London.

Didn't end up getting and still have horrid Ikea units <the shame....>

I'm going to maybe get a quote just for basic shelves with no fancy bits!

DrGarnettsWinterMixture Thu 24-Jan-13 09:44:08

I had basic shelves built in the alcoves on either side of the fireplace last year, and a carpenter recommended by a friend charged £400 for doing them (labour and materials). I love them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now