Rugs or fabrics on walls? Any ideas?

(8 Posts)
Gonzalez2 Fri 18-Jan-13 18:41:17

Hi, could anyone help with suggestions on where to get some sort of fabric wall hanging? Have been told not to put wallpaper on our walls which is mostly fine but had hoped to put some up in our hall to brighten it up (it's quite a wide empty room). Has anyone used fabric, tapestry or similar on their walls and liked it? And if so where did you get it from? Thanks

Selks Sat 19-Jan-13 21:02:18

I've got a smallish silk Moroccan rug on my bedroom wall, brought back from a holiday in Marrakesh. It looks great and gets plenty of compliments, and I did the colour scheme in the room around it.

Really ebay is brilliant for this sort of thing. You will get any kind of rug or fabric or wall hanging that you might want; particularly good for vintage or 'ethnic' finds.

But you need to think how you are going to hang it. Anything other than a thin cotton fabric will be heavy to hang and will need drilling into the wall.

My rug is hung by clips on a cafe rod which is screwed onto the wall.

HOw about some really big clip frames and fill them with wallpaper? You could use 2 or 3 on one wall in the same colours but different patterns? Or several in the same pattern, to make a kind of feature wall?

LittleFrieda Sat 19-Jan-13 21:11:25

Oka has some wall hanging/fabric throws which are lovely.

Or you could get this from eBay, which is hilarious. So much better that it looks absolutely nothing like him

TheFallenMadonna Sat 19-Jan-13 21:14:15

We have a kilim on the wall over our bed. BIL gave it to us as a wedding present, and got it travelling somewhere obscure, but you can get them all over the place really. I like it. Gets dusty enough!

NorbertDentressangle Sat 19-Jan-13 21:23:40

In our last house we had a huge Indian (?) wall hanging (one of those embroidered/appliqued type ones) that must have measure about 7ft x 12ft and almost covered a wall. It really made the room seem warmer and less echoey.

I attached some fabric tabs to the top and then we hung it from what was essentially like a curtain pole but was actually a copper pipe that was on brackets. It was surprisingly heavy!

Fianccetto Sat 19-Jan-13 21:26:53

Have you considered temporary/renter's wallpaper? I saw some on Pinterest the other day.

Gonzalez2 Sun 20-Jan-13 13:41:50

Ooh thank you for some great ideas. Looks like eBay might be the place to start (hadnt thought of it!) although not sure I could carry off the JP tapestry with enough panache!

I haven't come across temporary paper but the problem is more from a damp issue/letting walls breathe so not sure if this would work?

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now