Any tips on buying at auction please?

(3 Posts)
BuiltForComfort Tue 15-Jan-13 18:19:05

Thanks that's really helpful. Anyone else got more tips please?

betterwhenthesunshines Tue 15-Jan-13 16:39:36

Keep an eye on their website list to spot anything of interest, but I wouldn't bid on anything that you haven't seen. You need to see it to check for damage scratches etc that all is acceptable. Ours also usually has 600-800 lots so it's easier to go and have a quick look round than read a huge list!

Don't forget you need to add commission + VAT on that to the hammer price. Usually about 20%. But if they give a guide price, it can go for less than that if you are prepared to be cheeky and no one else is interested (as long as there isn't a reserve)

The auctions can go on for a long time. I've been once (and come home with some things that weren't on my original 'buy' list blush ).

Usually I fill in the form and leave a commission bid. You put down the top bid you are prepared to pay and then it depends on other bids in the room. I have got what I wanted about 50% of the time - sometimes for a lot less than my top price, sometimes quite close. It can be frustrating if you miss out on something you liked, especially if it was only £10 more, but it does avoid getting carried away in a bidding war.

BuiltForComfort Tue 15-Jan-13 16:21:11

I am scouring a couple of local auction room websites dor a very particular type of table. When one comes up I will be there like a shot, but I've never done an auction before. Any tips?

Should I go along for browsing and other auctions to make myself more known or is that a waste of time? Will they put everything on their websites or do I need to check it out in person anyway to make sure I don't miss anything? When it comes to registering / bidding, how does it work?

And .... There is a chance I would have to take ds with me, he's 5.8 and can sit quietly with a book or game, but is that REALLY daft or even allowed? I'd only be bidding for the one thing I want, not sitting there the whole way through.

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now