Women and welfare in 20th century Europe?

(6 Posts)
TheNightIsDark Mon 14-Apr-14 19:37:31

Ive ordered several books so just waiting for them to arrive but looking for advice.

If you had to write about women and welfare would you go solely with women specific benefits (family allowance etc) or include NHS, state pension etc?

I'm writing a plan at the moment.

fideline Tue 15-Apr-14 13:20:15

I'd do an overview of the whole welfare system. There are structural aspects within, for e.g., state pensions that mean the impact on women has always been gendered right up to the current generation.

Is it a comparative study of two European countries or wider than that that?

fideline Tue 15-Apr-14 13:24:49

(because comparing whole welfare systems across several countries would clearly be a huge unwieldy jelly of a paper)

Is it postgrad?

TheWanderingUterus Thu 17-Apr-14 11:22:51

Include all.

Can't leave out NHS, if you read some of the health investigations by people like Margery Spring Rice etc in this country you will see what a massive difference it made to women's health. Women often weren't able to afford a doctor or were the lowest priority after husbands and children and it had a massive impact on their overall health. Lots of horror stories.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 18-Apr-14 18:41:19

Yes, overview. Health is massive and pension for widows in particular.

TheNightIsDark Mon 21-Apr-14 11:23:14

Thanks. It's undergrad. I'm thinking of just comparing two countries so Great Britain with Germany (although trickier after the split) or Russia as both went through huge social changes. It's just whether I can locate the info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now