ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

trying to find out history on a house....

(5 Posts)
farmernarmer Sun 02-Feb-14 21:44:52

but i have NO idea where to start!

i apologise if this is in the wrong place. I wanted to try and find out some history on a house. I have no idea on how or where to start. It is quite a old house i think, but i have no idea how old!

can anyone offer any advise?

imip Sun 02-Feb-14 21:49:59

I recently went to the local archives office for the borough, stupidly took 4 dds with me, so didnt get down to it all. But looked up how the house that was here origianlly was bombed during the war. The archives office had a terminal with ancestors.com that you could look at for free. Will go back to look at census records.

Cross referenced this with a book that detailed the damage to london during the blitz and looked at our house on the map. Substantial damage that could only be repaired at substantial cost.

Staff were dry helpful, but not that impressed with the kids. It is more like a uni library.it is located with our children's library, so in my mind I expected it to be more flexible for people who may bring kids in.

farmernarmer Sun 02-Feb-14 21:55:23

i am not sure if we have an archives office anywhere near us! do you have to pay? is there no free way of looking it up?

imip Sun 02-Feb-14 22:26:55

It was free! Maybe your local library could help? Our archives office is located with the library. Am london based, which probably helps.

Would you pay for ancestors.com. Not sure how much it is.

I presume you've tried to google yr address?

Also, I didn't get the chance to look at the drainage records, but they said that was an impt resource when trying to find the history of your house.

cerealqueen Wed 12-Feb-14 21:00:56

Have you tried the 1901 and 1911 census, you can see who live there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now