Any other Egypt buffs around?

(8 Posts)
SirBoobAlot Wed 05-Jun-13 11:23:59

Just curious really... Have seen at least one screen name with a reference to Ancient Egypt grin

I'm self taught, reasonably knowledgeable, would have gone on to study Egyptology if I hadn't have become ill.

Anyone else?

meditrina Wed 05-Jun-13 17:12:09

I'm not a buff, but it's something I find fascinating! Possibly brought on by the Tutankhamen exhibition in the 1970s, and a love of the Peabody books.

SirBoobAlot Wed 05-Jun-13 23:55:24

Oooh I haven't read the Peabody books smile I shall check them out. If you enjoy Egyptian fiction, there are several I could recommend.

scaevola Thu 06-Jun-13 20:00:58

I've just seen the Petrie Museum mentioned on another thread. I was wondering if any history/Egypt buffs had been, and how they rate it?

SirBoobAlot Thu 06-Jun-13 20:10:45

I was the one that mentioned it grin It's awesome. Not so much gold and glitter as the BM, and none of the huge sculptures that you see there, but awesome nonetheless. It's small, hidden away, and run entirely by passionate individuals. There are some clothes, and the pottery is displayed chronologically, which is simply breath taking to see. Would highly recommend it if you're into Egypt.

scaevola Thu 06-Jun-13 20:15:53

I didn't spot it was you! blush

Looking round their site, they seem to have some brilliant activity/information sessions.

SirBoobAlot Thu 06-Jun-13 20:22:32

It's fine, don't worry smile

They do some wonderful things. It's an amazing place, and, although he's a slightly (to be mild!) controversial figure within Egyptology, Petrie made some truly unique finds, and did a lot for the future of Egyptology.

There's a lot of stuff from Amarna, which is brilliant to see because of it's place within Egyptian history.

<whispers> and there is an Ancient Egyptian dildo. The wording on the card next to it was more amusing than the item itself.

scaevola Mon 01-Jul-13 21:04:10

Programme about Flinders Petrie starting now (1 July 9pm) on BBC4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now