So...Any Thoughts About the BBC's Programs on Anne Boleyn and Tom Crom This Week?

(30 Posts)
LaQueen Sat 25-May-13 10:26:43

Got completely over excited, at the thought of watching them...but ended up feeling a bit meh by the end. I wasn't told anything new.

And, I found Professor McDiarmuird's pronunciation of Anne Bullin really annoying...

cleoowen Sat 25-May-13 10:28:54

Thought it was interesting but like you was looking forwards,to the ab one and was bit disappointed.

Why are there loads of programs about the,tudors on at themoment?

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 10:29:03

watched tom cromwell program this morning and was also annoyed by Ann Bullin!

LaQueen Sat 25-May-13 10:40:34

I know that the original spelling of her family name was Bullen, but then they Frenched it up, to sound more aristocratic. Still found it annoying though...and, the Proff was too emphatic when he spoke.

Trying to be David Starkey, but failing.

limitedperiodonly Sat 25-May-13 13:22:57

This is what I came here to look for and got distracted by another thread.

Watched the Anne Boleyn one. It was all right. I got a bit fed up with the actors playing her and Henry and others wandering about and the frequent shots of her portrait to remind you who the programme was about.

They did that in that She Wolves programme too. Quite annoying.

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 21:25:08

Still haven't had a chance to watch the anne Boleyn one - am saving it for when I have some peace.

I got the sense that the guy in the Tom Crom program thought he was being scholarly by pronouncing it Bullin <snurk>

I would have liked a debate on the AB one as opposed to the talking heads of Hillary, Phillipa, Alison etc. their differing theories as to Anne's demise would have made it fascinating, I think.
I fell asleep during the Cromwell one so can't comment until I've watched it again.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 25-May-13 21:31:58

I watched Tom Crom one last night and am saving the AB one for when i get another hours peace.

The Bullin thing drove me mad, i think Corny is spot on.

Whilst it was preferable to the rubbish on the rest of the channels i was a bit meh about it all after too.

LaQueen Tue 28-May-13 11:15:14

I agree about She Wolves Limited. I loved the book...the TV series was rubbish. Just assumed that everyone watching had the attention span of an 8 year old...and, lots of people wandering around gloomily in period dress, just to give you somefink to look at incase too many words was a bit, like, hard work for you hmm

Gah...

LaQueen Tue 28-May-13 11:16:31

Yep, agree corny clearly he wanted to imply that he was privy to higher knowledge, and wasn't going to pronounce Boleyn the same way as the humble masses hmm

limitedperiodonly Tue 28-May-13 11:30:38

I don't know how I didn't notice the pronunciation of Bullin in the first programme but after I read this I couldn't stop hearing it in the Thomas Cromwell one.

Does anyone else pronounce it like that, or is that just him? I get what you said about the family tarting up the spelling but I didn't know they'd done that. Do many people? He could have explained that - they explained lots of other things that people were more likely to know.

BTW I did The Knight's Tale at school and one teacher used to pronounce Arcite as Arse-It which annoyed the other one who said Arkeetay.

I think it was his way of irritating her while livening up the dullest Canterbury Tale with no rude bits in it.

LaQueen Tue 28-May-13 13:21:21

I don't know? I thought it was fairly well known that the Boleyns were orginally Bullen and were from yeoman stock - who made it rich, and then pulled off a spectacular bit of social climbing by marrying into the Howard family?

Anyway, highly annoying and so easy to explain to viewers, who must have thought - eh hmm

My two history teachers used to pronounce acedia differently, one with a soft c, the other with a hard c. I still don't know which is the right one hmm

I had this hidden somewhere deep in my memory too, wasn't she called Nan Bullin by the masses?

I was a bit disappointed by the AB one (haven't seen thom Crom yet). I hadn't seen Alison Weir before and was a bit distracted by how much she looked like the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland.

limitedperiodonly Tue 28-May-13 13:43:04

I didn't know, but I've not really gone into that much.

I was watching The Six Wives of Henry VIII with Keith Michell yesterday.

It wasn't bad. They seemed to have run it all together and I had to go out just when they got to Katherine Howard. They captured her looking a bit glum at the prospect of marriage to a fat old git with a smelly leg.

I suppose that was true but I wonder whether she'd have also been excited at being queen.

They portrayed Anne of Cleves as really ugly with terrible skin. Whereas I always believed she wasn't ugly, just not to Henry's taste.

LaQueen Tue 28-May-13 13:47:53

Yes, the crowds used top shout and jeer Nan Bullen at her, when she dared venture out.

I can't think that Anne of Clevers was that hideous. I think it was mainly that Henry felt pressured into marrying her, and always had a lot of doubts about allying himself to the Protestant princes in Europe. Plus Cleves stopped being a useful ally, about the time of the wedding...and I think Henry just thought 'Oh, what's the point...?'

Plus, Katherine Howard had already caught his eye, and she was supposedly very pretty, and very young (only 15, maybe?).

sarahandemily Tue 28-May-13 13:56:35

I liked the AB one probably because I now have a girl crush on that lady historian with the blond curly hair. I have never seen her before but she should be on more things.

cornypedicure Tue 28-May-13 14:49:02

The blond historian is often on a show on the history channel (I think) about the Tower. She also wears a lovely coat on it!

limitedperiodonly Tue 28-May-13 15:01:17

I really liked her hair but was scared I'd look shallow. But now you've mentioned her coat...

TheCrackFox Tue 28-May-13 15:07:24

I liked her hair too. blush

Bullin was annoying.

Pfaffer Tue 28-May-13 15:21:05

The Anne Boleyn one was boring. Gave up.
Quite passively enjoyed the Thomas Cromwell one, but nothing new in it.
Since we're on the subject of appearances, hasn't Diarmuid McWotsit got the most amazing art deco profile?
Side-on, he looks like he something from the machine age.

LaQueen Tue 28-May-13 19:02:56

I loved her hair. I spent a fortune on spiral perms back in the early 90s, trying to get ringlet curls like she had.

I failed everytime sad

limitedperiodonly Tue 28-May-13 19:22:50

I have an obscenely expensive styling wand - not tong, because that gives you kinks.

My hairdresser told me that you take each ringlet and use your fingers to blend it into the ringlet next door and repeat.

I can't bloody well do that. Dammit.

I also admired and hated the hateful Kimberley Walsh on Sky News today for her kinky dip-dyed hair that looked great.

I'm aware I should take this to Style n Beauty or Sleb Twaddle and I'm going to bugger off now.

LaQueen Tue 28-May-13 19:52:36

Back in 1989, I paid well over £100 to get a bespoke spiral perm, from the poshest salon in town (well, I didn't pay, I got a boyfriend to pay for it, obviously wink ) ...

It looked shit. Just like pleated cotton wool...serves me right.

limitedperiodonly Tue 28-May-13 20:26:37

What I meant to say was that I swear during the Anne Bullin programme they were talking about '600 years ago'. And I was thinking: 'No, 470ish years ago.'

Maybe I misheard it, but I don't think I did.

Maybe I've miscounted. Sadly, I had to check it on a calculator, but I think I'm right. I hope I am.

TunipTheVegedude Thu 30-May-13 21:29:00

No, they did say 600 - Twitter was full of it.

The blonde historian's book, 1536, is very good indeed.

I missed the Thos Crom one (bloody camping) so must find time to watch on I-Player before the end of tomorrow.

However while I was bloody camping I picked up Suzannah Dunn's 'The Confession of Katherine Howard' for £1.99 in a castle giftshop, which I really enjoyed - a far more plausible version of KH than Gregory's dim one, spoiled only by the modern metaphors (airlocks in Tudor England? really?).

Looking forward to the Ian Mortimer programme in a few days. Watching H7 at the moment and it's a bit dull.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now