Huh. It's going to be January before we know whether they're Richard III's bones.

(119 Posts)
LadyDamerel Mon 19-Nov-12 21:14:02

Just spotted this on the BBC website.

I think it's about time they borrowed some of those super-fast scanners and testing thingummies from CSI and put us out of our misery!

And in other news, there's a big list on the Richard III society website of various Richard III fictions, most of which are on Amazon or eBay (you'll need to click on the yellow Richard III tab on the left, then on Ricardian fiction to see the list).

kitstwins Sun 03-Feb-13 21:19:16

I am very excited. I have been waiting for this programme for months.

Did anyone see all the programmes on C4 last night? They'd clearly dredged the archives for some of it, but it was a whole host of Yorkist stuff. I also caught the end of a fascinating programme (with Tony Robinson I think although it has all blurred into one as I watched everything...) where they proved that Edward IV was illegitimate. Apparently an historian was quietly doing some routine research at Rouen Cathedral on the 100 Years War and came across some prayer rolls that showed that Edward IV's father had been on campaign at the time of his conception. There was always mutterings but it looks like the 6ft 4" golden Edward (in a family of small, dark haired siblings) was a bastard son after all. It would explain why his christening was a small, quiet affair in a private chapel but Richard (III's) a year later was massive and of 'first son status' - the true heir celebrated. It explains why 'Uncle Richard' was able to renege on his oath of fealty to his nephew and claim the throne as his own. His brother was illegitimate and had no rightful claim, and nor did his son.

Which means Elizabeth of York, married by Henry Tudor to strengthen his feeble lancasatrian claim, was technically wasting his time. He had a stronger claim than she did. Although if you read 'The Winter King' by Thomas Penn - an AMAZING book, you'll realise that his reasons were slightly more complex than that.

God, the power of history. Even better, they interviewed the historian who made the suprise discovery in the prayer rolls at Rouen. The quiet pleasure on his face was wonderful.

This is odd because I am 100% sure that I heard on the news a few weeks go that they are RIII's bones. However, this would not be the first time that I've heard / read news before it actually happens...

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Sun 03-Feb-13 21:21:33

I've set my alarm clock!

greenhill Sun 03-Feb-13 21:24:36

I can't wait to see the facial reconstruction.

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Sun 03-Feb-13 21:24:53

Surely though, if Edward was illegitimate, then that just made Richard, or Gloucesters children the heirs? Still didn't strengthen Henry's claim.

kitstwins Sun 03-Feb-13 21:25:07

It is him. The programme is on C4 tomorrow. If it wasn't him they'd have let the news out before now. They're milking the timings for all it's worth and who can blame them. I'm SO excited!

It's him. The question is, what next? Maybe a more truthful representation of a lost king. What IS good about all of this is that hopefully we'll begin to get a more measured picture of the man and not the Shakespearean pastiche of the evil, hunchback uncle. It took years for Henry VII to be rightfully portrayed as the dynamic, strategic, hotblooded and complex individual (and opportunist!) rather than the miserly, ascetic cipher he became. The mistake with history is we view them at the end of their life rather than at the beginning. Richard III is defined by Bosworth and the 'betrayal' of his nephew and yet he was and it was so much more complex than this.

kitstwins Sun 03-Feb-13 21:28:00

No, it didn't strengthen Henry's claim. I was just remarking on the irony of his marriage to Elizabeth of York to bolster his claim - she being the offspring of a 'bastard' king.

Henry's claim was still dubious at best. But he's not the first upstart to grab a kingdom on a day's battle and start a dynasty. It has been done on less.

AnyaKnowIt Sun 03-Feb-13 21:29:17

Well just looked at tomorrows TV listings and the Channel 4 programme is called 'The King In The Carpark' hmm

RichardsBird Sun 03-Feb-13 21:30:00

The university are not telling ANYONE what the results are, even at this late stage. I work for one of the very closely related organisations and the most senior person there did not know the definitive is-it-or-isn't-it answer at 6pm today. The city council have taken a gamble buying the building and setting up a temporary exhibition. But of course it is him, IMO.

meditrina Mon 04-Feb-13 06:50:01

I'm getting surprisingly excited!!

There are little bits on the news already. I think has to be him; DH thinks it's going to be inconclusive.

scaevola Mon 04-Feb-13 06:59:44

Glad there's a thread on this!

I've just seen the Breakfast News: they had a brief interview with the lead archaeologist: something about the way he said "sadly, we'll have to it until later on" (for the news), with the "sadly" stressed, made me think perhaps they can't be sure it's him.

Also wondering why the Sundays didn't get hold of it.

seeker Mon 04-Feb-13 07:16:00

It has to be him, surely? All this fuss then "sorry, it's some random bloke"

LeeCoakley Mon 04-Feb-13 08:12:44

But people involved with the C4 programme must know so maybe people who 'know' have heard it from them

DD is studying at the Dept of Archaelogy. I have asked her to text me when she knows but she says they are telling everyone at the same time so I will probably see it on TV first grin

scaevola Mon 04-Feb-13 08:45:10

< imagining hordes of MNetters camped by their tellies this morning >

The trailer for the C4 programme looked as if it was all about the methods of the tests, and will probably include a lot about his life and interpretations of it. It's only the result of the DNA test that need to be kept under wraps - and they could have filmed 3 endings in advance (yes, no, inconclusive).

scaevola Mon 04-Feb-13 09:36:10

SKY News is already reporting what it says is the result.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 04-Feb-13 10:02:19

so is it him? been sitting here and keep refreshing grin

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Mon 04-Feb-13 10:06:10

Overwhelmingly excited!

Live feed of the press conference is here:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21319148

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Mon 04-Feb-13 10:10:07

sky news are 5 seconds ahead! They are really stringing this out!

AnyaKnowIt Mon 04-Feb-13 10:10:16

that link doesn't work on my phone sad

scaevola Mon 04-Feb-13 10:11:35

Bugger - SKY's just broken off. I was really enjoying the description of the method.

Still working on the BBC - they've just shown a pic of the bones in the grave as they were found in situ.

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Mon 04-Feb-13 10:12:32

Wow! Look at the spine! shock
AAARGH! Its still on CNN!

AnyaKnowIt Mon 04-Feb-13 10:13:06

its all about huhne now hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now