What period of history do you find most fascinating?

(53 Posts)
Vagaceratops Tue 25-Sep-12 20:39:20

From another thread.

Which bit most interests you?

For me its definitely from the reign of Henry II to the end of John's Reign. I love it and have read so much about it. I also have a soft spot for the Peasants revolt, and have read good books from that period.

1850s onwards but especially the 1920s/30s. I thought Tony Judt's Postwar was an amazing book, such a loss. I am loving the MNet history section, I thought it was just me!

sazzparilla Tue 20-Nov-12 09:50:11

excellent thread dudes, right up my street smile

Furoshika Tue 20-Nov-12 09:56:05

Stone age. How did we organise our groups, how much did we communicate with groups wider afield, what technology did we use, what was language like etc. Time machine necessary.
Also 20-th century wartime and post-war. Think the knock-on effect to us has been massive. Would like to untangle that a bit.

MissMogwi Tue 20-Nov-12 09:56:38

I like it all. I studied Ancient Greece and Rome at college and I really enjoyed it. Tom Holland's books Persian Fire and Rubicon are excellent.

I love 19th century history and literature, I'd read nothing but, if I could.

I

ImperialStateKnickers Tue 20-Nov-12 10:03:39

Thanks to my O level, A level and one year of my degree, I NEVER want to discuss the origins of the Second World War ever, ever again.grin. And the same goes for the bloody Chartist Movement.

After graduating, it took a couple of years before I could face reading history for pleasure again, but since then I've found myself particularly interested in Henry II, the Tudor transition, and most recently the repercussions of the Civil war in the 17th century.

Oh, I love Tom Holland's books! I find that period of history fascinating but so difficult to memorize the crucial bits. He's a very lucid writer but it's still immensely complicated, IMO.

imperial - oh, god, with you right there. WWII coming right out of my ears, and I only did it for GCSE! Still far too much.

I love late medieval stuff but recently I've also been getting really into late nineteenth and early twentieth century women's history, thanks to a mate who works on it. I love how close it all feels - it's only just out of living memory really, which feels so close. So much has changed so fast.

sparrowfart Wed 21-Nov-12 19:58:42

I'm with Nettletea, Linerunner and Furoshika, the emergence of civilisation, the development of communication and language, social organisation. I am OBSESSED with mesopotamia, could read and read and read about it, but my interest is really on a human level, what life was like for ordinary folk etc etc. I also love Bronze Age eastern Med history. God I sound like such a nerd. [glasses, bow-tie and tank top emoticon]

This is a comfortable place for nerds, isn't it? smile

I love that stuff too ... I would love to know more about ordinary people such a long time ago. It blows my mind that we're able to learn anything about them at all.

In fact, that reminds me, something else I find fascinating is Bronze and Iron Age Britain and Northern Europe. There is obviously so much myth that must have come from those civilizations but what we know is so shadowy.

Lavenderhoney Wed 21-Nov-12 20:10:04

I didn't know mn had a history sectionsmile I love history! But am am a bit of a butterfly- I like roman history, medieval history as pertaining to woman's rights, bit of a leaning to dictatorships and how they come to pass, english history after the romans, I feel I need to be more organised.

Is it the clear facts you like or the personal details that have shaped history iykwim? I rather like the books which try to understand emotions and why people did what they did, cromwell, for instance.

Lavenderhoney Wed 21-Nov-12 20:12:08

I didn't know mn had a history sectionsmile I love history! But am am a bit of a butterfly- I like roman history, medieval history as pertaining to woman's rights, bit of a leaning to dictatorships and how they come to pass, english history after the romans, I feel I need to be more organised.

Is it the clear facts you like or the personal details that have shaped history iykwim? I rather like the books which try to understand emotions and why people did what they did, cromwell, for instance.

I love the personal details. Always! smile

Astralabe Thu 27-Dec-12 20:16:50

I love social history from all periods but especially love minority and women's history - Cathars and other heretics from the middle ages, female spies in WWII, Victorian fetishists and the 'secret' history of gay and lesbian folk.. anything that vears from the mainstream and throws a new light on how you think of a particular era and minority history often does this.

sarahtigh Sat 05-Jan-13 18:23:53

while WWII and holocaust are sort of fascinating they have been done to death
the history ( freeview) seems to think that history consist of WWII occasionally WWI, the nazis, last of the summer wine and time team!!!!! with brief interludes of romans and tudors and the victorian farm

my favourite period is late mediaeval period and early renaissance and the historic near/middle east

also interested in social changes made by puritans commonly seen as just killjoys but actually responsible for some early womens rights stuff although this was just a reflection of their theological belief in all being equal before God and answerable to God alone not the King

I am going to read more this year about later Stuarts and early hanoverians,
to find out the other side of GeorgeIII ie not the film about his madness and the British political side to American Independance

PassportHell Sat 12-Jan-13 11:25:08

Great thread. Took up some of the recommendations on here and have the dvd Goodbye Lenin and the book Gulag in an attempt to broaden my horizons.

The period in history I come back to time and time again is the Tudors and the Holocaust. My book wish list continues to grow after reading threads like this grin.

tribpot Sat 12-Jan-13 11:44:23

Thanks for bumping this thread, PassportHell! Bloody awesome reading.

Ancient Rome is one of mine, and the mediaeval period, particularly women's history. I've just finished Queen of Silks by Vanora Bennett, and would love to research how accurate a portrayal that really was of the freewomen of London, particularly the crafters.

Also WW2, which seems in many ways a more fantastical period of history - not that I am denying it happened grin but the magnitude of the conflict and the prolonged and profound nature of the change to civilian life (I'm sure the military history is equally significant) is incredible.

TheMysteryCat Sat 12-Jan-13 12:02:30

Been mulling mine I've while easing the thread.

Think I'll plump for:

Ancient Greece for philosophy and culture
Near east from the medieval period and going back to 2500bce
European inter war years, especially philosophy and cultural aspects.
And French Revolution

But I suspect I'll want to add more!

TheMysteryCat Sat 12-Jan-13 12:05:53

Reading not easing!

WeeWeeWeeAllTheWayHome Sat 12-Jan-13 12:09:27

Cold war for me!

HecatePropolos Sat 12-Jan-13 12:11:13

Ancient Egypt, the Mayans, basically, the ancient civilisations. Mostly the lost civilisations, and mythical ones eg atlantis. What's the truth behind the myth. Was there an actual now lost civilisation which gave rise to the myth.

tribpot Sat 12-Jan-13 12:14:29

Just downloaded The Good Women of China! Which reminds me, I haven't finished reading Helen Castor's She-Wolves, but the TV series (which is being reshown again at the moment) is so good.

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Sat 19-Jan-13 23:58:12

Any stage in History until the 20th century. I find recent history very depressing. We should have learned so many lessons from the past, but STILL we fuck everything up. And we find bigger and better ways of doing it than ever before!

BadLad Sun 03-Feb-13 11:21:19

How many can we choose?

Ancient Greece, Persia and Rome. I also loved Persian Fire.

The Bysantium period. Amazed that it is so little known. Can recommend the trilogy by John Julius Norwich to anyone interested. Don't get the condensed one-volume version.

The Saxons and Vikings period.

Shanghai up until World War 2.

From the War of the Roses to Victoria are my main areas of interest, however, European history is starting to intrigue me, particularly the French court, and the Spanish.......
Basically a history hoor, none too fussy, me wink

TheOriginalLadyFT Sun 03-Feb-13 11:38:28

Really tough to choose, history is such a fascinating subject

Love the medieval period and have studied it in my student days, but I'm consistently enthralled by the Tudors, especially Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

I never enjoyed modern history much at school, but coming back to it as an adult I've found it much more interesting, especially the two wars and how and why they happened, not just in Europe but in the Far East for example

DS is obsessed with the Second World War and reads a lot about it - he finds the Russian-Germany conflict really interesting, especially the way the cold and the geography played such role in the outcome

BadLad Sun 03-Feb-13 11:38:54

If Hecate reads this again, any chance of some book recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now