Sex in history

(67 Posts)
Tamoo Tue 25-Sep-12 13:15:22

Apologies in advance for lowering the tone.

It occurred to me reading the Henry VIII thread (someone mentioned Anne Boleyn introduced him to oral sex) how awful sex must have been pre-modern era standards of hygiene.

Thinking of, say, 500 years ago, when only the wealthy had regular access to hot baths, and even then perhaps only used them a couple of times a year?

How could anyone bear the smell of intimate physical contact with someone who never washed?

And the rotten teeth. Imagine full-on snogging with someone before toothpaste was invented.

I'm aware they didn't know any different but still.

Just a few historical musings for the day blush

DinosaursOnASpaceship Tue 25-Sep-12 16:44:43

I think my ex (once removed - is that how you refer to an ex previous to your current ex?) would have really fitted in well in medieval times the dirty skank

Ewww!

May I offer my congratulations that he's an ex?! grin

R2PeePoo Tue 25-Sep-12 16:48:07

LRD, actually its been about 10 years since I read it, I borrowed it from the university library and its been static on my wishlist for years (overshadowed by other interests), so if I could borrow it for a reread that would be fabulous.

Ultimately I'd love a copy of my own but can't justify £35 on one book atm.

I am very careful with other people's books and a quick reader grin. Shall I PM you my address? <eager>

Of course!

Just let me check I can find the thing and it's not at my parents' house!

Yep, got it, you're welcome. And I'm unlikely to need it in the near future. I would like it back, but don't feel like you have to skim it in ten days flat or something.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 25-Sep-12 17:01:27

I have a book by Reah Tanahill (sp) (soz, not at home to check) called 'Sex in History' - going all the way back to prehistory - very well-reaesched and readable. She also wrote a book called 'Food in History' also excellent

LineRunner Tue 25-Sep-12 17:02:04

Is there any mileage in a separate book loan thread? <ponders>

I have hundreds of books on history and prehistory and antiquity and death and all that shit, some of them quite obscure and out of print.

<drools>

LineRunner Tue 25-Sep-12 17:06:38

That's the one MrsSalvo - Reay Tannahill. Really readable.

I've got a great book of collected papers called Gender and the Archaeology of Death. Kick-ass woman writing about their passions.

I only know Reay Tannahill's novels, but they are great!

I need to re-read them.

Tamoo Tue 25-Sep-12 17:15:31

There's a lot of sexy stuff from Roman times, has anyone heard of the Secret Cabinet/Secret museum of Naples? It contained all the rude mosaics and statuary (man having sex with a goat is a famous example) and men doing the Grand Tour used to go and perve at all the antiquities in a scholarly sort of way.

However the Romans were into bathing and a lot cleaner than the average person in the Middle Ages etc.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Tue 25-Sep-12 17:15:47

Thanks LRD grin

grin

I hope you found someone nicer afterwards!

(My ex is a wanker but, sadly, in no way historically interesting.)

Am going to lower the tone right down now.. (Sorry)

A school friend had a book about sex across the ages (or similar) from his mum (!) in which he said described something <boak> that would fall out of fanjos in a sort of minging lumpy thing which was a mixture of period blood, fanjo juice and cum..

I have never seen the book to know if he was not just trying to gross me out but <boak> <boak> <boak> just in case its true..!!!!!

MrsjREwing Tue 25-Sep-12 17:36:33

This is the most repulsive thread I have ever read.

SummerRain Tue 25-Sep-12 17:46:00

QI mentioned that too.... They even had a name for it <<<heave>>>

R2PeePoo Tue 25-Sep-12 18:27:30

<has several hardback books full of images from Greek and Roman times-out of the reach of the kids of course>

I love the fact that the ancient Greeks wore costumes like these-scroll down to perform comedies. That both they and the Romans had penises everywhere - Priapus, Satyrs and just Penises - eighth picture down.

Aristophanes is brilliant too, I did those for A-level and we used to make bets on how soon the teacher would blush (not helped by a room of seventeen year old girls asking things like 'so what is anal penetration?' and 'what does phallus mean?')

Tamoo Tue 25-Sep-12 18:46:11

OMG how on earth did they describe that on QI?!

Tamoo Tue 25-Sep-12 18:47:07

<<ponders Stephen Fry saying the words "fanjo juice">>

LineRunner Tue 25-Sep-12 18:54:19

I think Stephen Fry would murmur, "A viscous concoction of menstrual blood, ejaculate and a dash of ladies' enthusiam".

SummerRain Tue 25-Sep-12 19:00:53

Shit.... I should have know better than to google <<<needs shower>>>

I did come across this though..... www.cracked.com/article_17399_8-terrifying-instruments-old-time-doctors-used-your-junk.html They might not have liked sex much but they sure liked shoving things up their arses

LineRunner Tue 25-Sep-12 19:03:16

grin SummerRain

SummerRain Tue 25-Sep-12 19:10:18

Sootikins

http://www.sootikin.com/sootikin.htm

I'm off to purge my browser history and take a long hot shower now.......

CaptainKirksNipples Tue 25-Sep-12 19:29:03

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sootikin

A sootikin. Think I learned that on here!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 25-Sep-12 19:30:36

I think we can say History Club is a roaring success as a new Topic - it has a Friday night thread on a Tuesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now