Can't decide on a course ...

(6 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Fri 16-Sep-16 08:02:15

Dd2. I think is still dithering re what course. She's " arts based" and probably going for liberal arts as a way to find her way iyswim.

She's a worrier and then worries this is too vague but I think it's ok isn't it ? People change / modify courses when there if they really aren't right don't they ...

Older 2 were v sure at this stage so it's tricky and the old " they knew , why don't I " comparisons are coming out.

So hard being 3rd child I think.

Dunlurking Fri 16-Sep-16 08:30:42

We went through this and ds starts his Liberal Arts degree in 2 weeks.

He had 2 subjects he could/would/wanted to major in so researched all the unis who did Liberal Arts degrees with good departments in both subjects. At the open days he went to the talks by both departments as well as the Liberal Arts degree talk. Then waited for his predicted grades to see where he could apply.

In the end the core modules were what swung it for him. Some unis had none to speak of (Durham - more of a combined honours degree), some had a compulsory language (which he didn't want), and some had a range fascinating core modules (the one he picked). He also gets various useful business type certificates; coaching etc, and an internship in year 2.

At all the unis the subject you pick to major is recognised for Masters applications as they ensure you build enough credits in it. Ds doesn't have to decide on his major until year 2. Also he has a year abroad, which most of the Liberal Arts courses offer.

Good luck with the thinking/worrying process.

Squirrills Fri 16-Sep-16 16:57:15

DS2 not arty but was completely undecided by the end of Y12. He looked at several different subjects when he did open days - even visited one uni twice because he changed his mind about subject.
It was made harder by the fact that his sibling was very driven and single minded about what he wanted to do.
Finally he made a decision and starts next week.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sat 17-Sep-16 21:55:57

Surely the point of going to university is to study a subject in depth for 3 years? If your DD doesn't have a passion to study a particular subject, I would suggest you get her to question whether she even wants to go to university? Now more than ever, people should consider alternatives: perhaps moving into an arts-based job would be more up her street?

TheGruffaloMother Sat 17-Sep-16 21:59:13

I agree with Working. If she doesn't just know then it's worth taking some time until she does. It's a huge debt to rack up just for the uni experience.

Helenluvsrob Sat 17-Sep-16 23:34:25

Working and gruff totally agree. She's likely to have a gap year if she doesn't get her mojo going. However we have suggested she at least apply this year so she does it with full school support etc- it would be much harder in 12 months or however long, if she were to apply herself without the experience of the proscess.

She is however academically able and I think long term will be hampered by not having a degree - time to look right into the job market during a gap year would give her focus too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now