Whole class downgrade for Edexcel Art & Design A2

(10 Posts)
wavedancer68 Tue 23-Aug-16 21:27:34

Every candidate at DD's school for Edexcel Art & Design had their marks significantly downgraded by the moderator. There was nothing wrong with their work and school usually gets high grades.

Does anyone know if this has happened in other schools this year? Has anyone any experience of an exhibition remark?

RedHelenB Wed 24-Aug-16 07:50:41

How do you know for certain there was nothing wrong with their work?

stonecircle Wed 24-Aug-16 08:18:20

My understanding is that moderators sample a few pieces of work and if they are found to have been too generously graded then the whole lot gets downgraded (without being looked at).

angeldiver Wed 24-Aug-16 08:26:13

Sounds like the school have been a little generous with the marks.
As I understand it, if one is marked down (or up) from the given mark, they're all marked down.

wavedancer68 Wed 24-Aug-16 08:26:19

Head of Art at school is an experienced teacher and has marked work for many years. This is a shock to Head of Art as well as the students. It isn't just a slight movement of marks for one or two - everyone one had their marks reduced by quite a high percentage.

wavedancer68 Wed 24-Aug-16 08:33:37

Hadn't seen other replies when I posted just now.
The blanket downgrade (without work being looked at) makes sense (sadly). There was outstanding work in the exhibition and accompanying sketch book work etc.

Was wondering if other schools have experienced the same this year or perhaps we are unlucky.

angeldiver Wed 24-Aug-16 08:35:38

The moderators will probably advise the teacher goes on a marking course.
When one of our coursework marks were moderated down, 2 of the students had a remark, those that were closest to a grade boundary. It was in vain, they agreed with the original moderator.
Have they dropped a whole grade?

wavedancer68 Wed 24-Aug-16 08:50:40

angeldiver Yes they have dropped a whole grade within the A2 marking - exam project and course work.

Interested about 2 students from your year having had a remark. It has been indicated to us that the whole of the exhibition would have to go back up and everyone would have to agree with being remarked.

angeldiver Wed 24-Aug-16 09:14:15

Yes, we're not art but another practical subject.
Everybody agreed to the remark, it was only those that had most to gain ie. Move up a grade, who were remarked.
My HoD was pretty annoyed at the time but the chance of the moderators moderator (who is the person who will do the remark) going against the marks are slim.
Unless school themselves decide to resubmit the work, I guess you just have to take it on the chin sad

wavedancer68 Wed 24-Aug-16 09:24:30

Thanks angeldiver We are waiting to hear back from school. I think they are starting off with a letter of complaint to Edexcel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now