Mature student and finance

(8 Posts)
daisychicken Mon 22-Aug-16 16:29:01

I really really want to go back to studying and do a degree in textiles and mixed media. I have researched my options and have found 3 courses that will work for a part time mature student and give me the outline course that I want. I'm currently doing a course that will help me with the portfolio aspect.

The problem is, I already have a degree and as such, I'm not able to apply for a student loan. I have found out about a 24+ learner loan but haven't been able to determine if I am eligible. Does anyone know about loans/finance for mature students who already hold a degree? Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated as if I can't figure out and sort funding, I won't be able to take this step.

Sofabitch Mon 22-Aug-16 19:59:19

I'm almost certain the 24+ is just for level 3 course.. so A level equivalent

daisychicken Mon 22-Aug-16 20:09:00

Ah so not an option, thanks. Sadly it looks as if I won't be able to do the course 🙁

quarterpast Mon 22-Aug-16 20:10:55

Is a Postgraduate course an option for you? This year is the first that you can apply for tuition fee loans for Postgraduate study from Studentfinance. Might be worth a Google?

daisychicken Mon 22-Aug-16 20:33:11

I don't have a degree in the same area that I want to do further study in so unlikely I'd get onto a postgrad course (assuming there is one that's relevant) but also, from a look at the gov.uk website, I'm ineligible as I have a postgrad masters already (even though I paid for that myself way back when)... I totally get the why's but it does make it hard to change career or do any further study (and I did pay back my first student loans!) sigh... back to the drawing board....

titchy Mon 22-Aug-16 20:40:37

If you're disabled you'd be eligible... Also if you wanted to do science you'd be eligible from next year. Sadly not for any other degree though.

daisychicken Mon 22-Aug-16 20:49:29

I'm profoundly deaf and have fibromyalgia - will that count?

titchy Mon 22-Aug-16 21:02:07

Possibly if you qualify for disabled students allowance - worth a phone call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now