College may not let ds continue with 3 a levels

(7 Posts)
RufusTheReindeer Fri 19-Aug-16 15:25:48

Any help or advice gratefully received

Ds did badly in his as levels, he got a C a D and two E's

One of the E subjects he was taking is linear but the college obviously have a cut off of a D tolet them continue (fair enough)

He is desperate to continue with this A level (once he has figured out what the hell went wrong) and wants to take it at degree level

Has anyone any advice on what he can say to the school to make them change their mind? Or what he can do next as if he only gets two A levels he wont be able to go to university at all

If it makes a difference he got an A in the subject at gcse, gets A's and B's in his classand homework....but obviously doesnt do well in exams. He has no idea where he has gone wrong

He has a meeting with the school in the next week or so

We managed to pull him out of his upset yesterday but i think he is really going to struggle with this

Might not be able to reply regularly as we are on holiday in a different time zone

Thanks

NewIdeasToday Fri 19-Aug-16 15:55:40

If he got an E in this subject he is going to struggle to get a University offer in that subject. He'd be best to rethink. Or consider applying to university once he has his A level results, if he really thinks he can radically improve his grade.

The best thing would be to talk openly with the school about where his strengths lie and how he can learn from this experience to make the most of the next year.

RufusTheReindeer Fri 19-Aug-16 17:19:35

Thank you new

When we saw that his grades were so bad we did talk to him about having a gap year so that is definitely an option

I think he is just trapped in the "have to go to university to get a good job" cycle

springwaters Fri 19-Aug-16 17:32:46

My DD was the same. At the end of Y12 got an E in the subject she wanted to do for uni. School wouldn't let her continue and retaking year not an option due to funding. With hindsight she should have had it remarked.

Went to a private college and did A2 and retook this AS. Got a A in the retake and a B overall. Is doing subject at Uni (variation on subject but subject is core)

Dont do 2. My DS dropped to 3 and them bombed in 1. Very hard to get into Uni with only 2 and no wriggle room at all.

If it is STEM based he could go to a college and do a BTEC- that would be eligible for funding having already done AS. No exams- equivalent to 2 or 3 a levels.

RufusTheReindeer Fri 19-Aug-16 18:13:02

Thank you spring

Good idea with the remark

Its not a stem subject, its history...should probably have mentioned that grin

HereIAm20 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:32:58

Has he thought of redoing yr 12 - my son did off his own back!

RufusTheReindeer Sat 20-Aug-16 02:40:11

here

He has thought about it as have i

Trouble is he is very lacking in confidence and self esteem, finds it very difficult to make friends and i just think that he will find it very difficult to be the oldest in the year

It is an option though...but maybe not at his 6th form

Very well done to your son though, did he find it better or easier academically ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now