Maintenance Grant and Supplementary Grant Overpayments 2015/16

(6 Posts)
kittykittykitty5 Sat 23-Jul-16 21:07:01

Just that really, eldest starts year 2 of Uni in September and today we have had a bundle of SF letters land on the doormat. Unfortunately I was out until after 4pm so too late to call SF direct.

First letter is confirmation of 2015/16 maintenance loan which is £690 lower than what was actually received. Does anyone know if this is deducted from the 2016/17 payments or just added to the loan at the end of the course?

I know why there was an overpayment, I am assuming it is because our household income was estimated as DP was made redundant and then restarted work three months later. We realised once we had our end of year payslips that we had estimated far too low.

The second letter stated that, the Supplementary Grant has been stopped and has to either be repaid or added to his overall loan when the course finishes. Eldest has severe SEN, so are these grants income based and therefore clawed back because of our higher than expected household income or were we supposed to reapply each year?

Am I the only person who finds SF so confusing?

Many thanks.

welshpixie Sun 24-Jul-16 08:40:30

I think they must have a review of a lot of grants. I got a letter yesterday saying they have taken DDs entire grant away from her for the year 2015/16, over £3000 and they will take it back from her, not sure how but I am assuming they will not give her any money this next year. We gave them all the documentation they asked for and as our income was below £25,000 she was awarded the full loan and grant. They have asked for proof of our income again, which was still in the envelope they returned to us last year.
They also want a copy of DH death certificate which I understand completely, but how the hell did they make the decision last year and then claim they do not have the info now.
It is terrifying she may have to leave uni purely because someone in SF can't get their facts straight.
This is not the only problem we have had with SF, at one point DD had a letter with the wrong Uni, wrong course and wrong year, they are useless, she also didn't get her first payment until December, how she was meant to eat or pay accommodation they didn't give a toss.
Sorry for the rant but they are so bad it is unbelievable.
I am going to try the complaints line today see if that has any affect.
Sorry if this garbled but I am furious and not thinking too straight.

welshpixie Sun 24-Jul-16 08:41:36

If anyone has any ideas how I should proceed ,all will be gratefully received

onadifferentplanet Sun 24-Jul-16 08:47:11

Ds intercalated for medical reasons during the second term of his first year, by the time all the paperwork had been done he had already received the second instalment of his grant and loan for the year. When he went back to Uni at the start of this academic year the grant part was deducted from this year's figure so he got a lower payment each term and the loan part was added to the final figure that he will have to pay back in the future.

Sofabitch Mon 01-Aug-16 08:52:00

I had an overpayment of student finance in my.first.year. they took it all back out of my next payments. Left me with nothing at all for the first 2 payments.

The system is deeply flawed

LittleDragon Tue 16-Aug-16 03:40:12

All student finance needs reapplying for each year. The system is really deeply flawed and they are cutting it back all the time as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now