Student Loans Company

(5 Posts)
AugustRose Mon 04-Jul-16 13:11:25

Is it normal for SLC to ask for a loan to be repaid after only one year? DS started one uni but due to some health issues returned home and after some discussion decided to change uni. He has a guaranteed place at the new uni in September and has successfully applied for his new finance.

However SLC have sent a bill asking for his NI number and bank details to start taking payment for the old loan even though he is still going to be a student for another 3 years. I thought they only started taking payments at the end of study and if he is earning over £21,000.

Decorhate Mon 04-Jul-16 17:00:53

It sounds as if they have overlooked that he is continuing with his studies elsewhere. I'd give them a call to check.

Dickcheese Mon 04-Jul-16 17:05:10

But just to make sure, at what point in the year did she drop out? If it's before Christmas then I believe you're liable for the fees already paid. If it's after that, give them a ring and I'm sure you can get it sorted

Owlytellsmesecrets Mon 04-Jul-16 17:06:25

He will need to defer the loan!

AugustRose Mon 04-Jul-16 19:40:10

OK thanks, he'll have to give them a call to make sure they understand he is continuing elsewhere. He finished after Christmas so only received one lot of payments in October.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now