Impact of rustication on job prospects / career?

(10 Posts)
anon1212 Mon 11-Apr-16 19:10:02

DS has rusticated at the beginning of final term before exams. He already has an internship and job offer lined up, however, does anyone know what the impact of rustication will be on these? And whether it will hinder him getting a job anywhere else in the future?

Spoilt4choice Mon 11-Apr-16 21:55:31

What does rusticated mean ?!

iamtotallyserious Mon 11-Apr-16 21:57:40

Is he Oxford? What did he do?

I have no idea... Will they even need to know?? I was at Ox and someone I know was rusticated and future employer was never told or found out though tbh it wasn't final term before exams.

iamtotallyserious Mon 11-Apr-16 21:59:23

It basically means suspended from uni, btw Spoilt

unweavedrainbow Mon 11-Apr-16 21:59:56

Is he ill? Everyone I know who rusticated did so on health grounds. If so, will that impact him later?

GrouchyKiwi Mon 11-Apr-16 22:05:35

I love that they still call it that.

Spoilt4choice Mon 11-Apr-16 22:11:10

As in made rustic ? grinthanks iam !

ThinkBeforePosting Mon 11-Apr-16 22:44:45

Rustification isn't unusual. There are some interesting Freedom of Information requests about it. INFO for OXFORD RUSTIFICATIONS HERE

OP, I think it might depend on the reasons behind your sons Rustification. Illness or MH issues would looked at more favorably than him being suspended for plagiarism (slightly extreme example confused ). Is he intnding to complete his degree next year?

VegasIsBest Tue 12-Apr-16 07:14:08

Won't his job offer be dependent on him getting his degree?

Molio Tue 12-Apr-16 08:25:25

'What did he do' is a daft thing to ask.

Don't worry OP. A significant number of Oxford students are advised to rusticate (and this is the most usual time of year) and employers seem to be very understanding. I really hope your DS recovers soon. It's not at all uncommon and he wouldn't be allowed to rusticate unless there was real reason. One recent student I know rusticated just before Finals, came top of the entire Oxford year the following year and is now in one of the most sought after firms there is. No-one batted an eyelid - it's incredibly pressurized and these things happen. Your DS just needs a bit of space to get well - tell him not to fret about the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now