HERIOT WATT - any advice or experience please!

(11 Posts)
BCBG Fri 08-Apr-16 22:40:02

Hi - DD has an offer for a MSc Retail Management - she's currently at Durham doing a degree in International Relations but wants to work for a global/international retailer if she can. She hasn't had any joy on student room and would really appreciate hearing what other students think of uni, accommodation, life up there and anything else. She is fairly shy and will know no-one up there when she goes - please could the lovely Mners come to her rescue and tell us everything!!! Thank you flowers

bojorojo Sat 09-Apr-16 14:45:12

I cannot find this course on their web site for taught or research MSc. This may have caused the lack of responses on the Student Room. Are you sure the course is named as you have posted?

However, HW is a campus university in Edinburgh and I am sure any Masters student there will find plenty to do in the city and quickly find other masters students who are moving to the university to continue their education.

LizzieMacQueen Sat 09-Apr-16 16:52:21

I have experience of being there myself 25 years ago and recently when taking my DD on open days. Not much has changed. It is a campus university, pretty small and compact, about 6 miles from the centre of Edinburgh with a regular bus service (I wouldn't recommend a car as driving and parking in Edinburgh town centre is a nightmare). Bus takes approximately 45 minutes.

If she's a shy sort then I'd say the set up would suit her really well, there are plenty post-grads of all disciplines - it has a good name for science and engineering, I have no knowldge what the business degrees are but probably easy to find that information. They are building new sports facilities and there are I think 2 unions on site.

I think the campus accommodation is all self catering now. There are shops and cafes on site although she could stock up on food in nearby Currie.

2rebecca Sat 09-Apr-16 19:54:43

Is it a distance learning course? I'm failing to find it too. We went round there when my son was looking at engineering unis. he loved their engineering department but didn't go there in the end, it was his second choice.
A relative of mine went there for a couple of years and loved the uni and made friends there but decided the course wasn't what she wanted as it was a new course and they changed it. She found everyone friendly. The campus is a bus ride from the city but a lot of students live in Ed and commute to HW after the first year.

Gungdjur Sat 09-Apr-16 20:00:25

It's more than ten years since I went there for an MSc but would definitely recommend living on campus - there are postgrad halls and the people who lived off campus found it much harder to integrate. Really enjoyed it and met my now husband in my hall, not to mention some of my best friends xx

BCBG Sat 09-Apr-16 23:15:35

Hi - thanks for replies. She's not here to ask but I think it must be the MSc in Internationsl Fashion Marketing as I know she said it was set up by George Davies..

2rebecca Sun 10-Apr-16 09:06:44

Looks like it's based at their borders campus not their Edinburgh one. Have never been there.

OceanView Sun 10-Apr-16 09:10:25

I live very close to the Edinburgh campus so if it is here I'd happily help with any living in the area questions if it's up here.

BCBG Tue 12-Apr-16 19:35:39

Thank you! It is definitely the Edinburgh campus - but we haven't found out much more than that..

dotdotdotmustdash Tue 12-Apr-16 22:39:00

I took my Dd to their open day a couple of years ago and we were very impressed. The open day was very well organised, the campus is clean and well-maintained and set in lots of attractive open space. The students who were assisting that day seemed to be genuinely cheerful and friendly. Dd decided not to apply there because she wants to do Undergrad IR at Edinburgh instead but there was certainly nothing about the Uni that appeared to be negative.

DieSchottin93 Wed 27-Apr-16 20:54:48

Bit late to the party but Heriot-Watt is a lovely campus smile all that greenery looks gorgeous on a rare sunny day grin Bus times are about 30-40 minutes into the city centre depending on what time of day you go in (it's a nightmare trying to get the 25 bus at about half 8 because it's also full of Napier students, I quickly learnt in second year that I'd have to leave my flat a bit earlier if I wanted to get on a bus that would get me in on time!)

They have post grad accommodation, and I know they've got some fancy new halls now, and there is a good range of places to eat on campus. Food shopping wise I'd say the best place to go is Asda Chesser which is about 20 minutes away on the 34 bus route (the student shop can be a tad pricey).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now