Durham, is this right?

(77 Posts)
TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 31-Mar-16 19:22:05

My God daughter received an offer from Durham, liked the University, but has been forced to turn it down because the offer was apparently linked to college accommodation coming in at over £7500.

Is this actually what happens? My DD has been considering Durham but may now think again.

Decorhate Thu 31-Mar-16 19:39:28

Most students stay in halls of residence in the first year. Generally it is not compulsory but it may be different at Durham due to the college system (similar to Oxbridge). My dd at a northern uni is paying around £6k for catered halls this year. I have heard that other unis are more expensive than that!

Unfortunately even if a student qualifies for the full student loan it may not cover those costs but lots of unis have bursaries in addition for less well off students.

simbobs Thu 31-Mar-16 19:41:47

I hope someone with direct experience can jump in here as we are considering Durham for next year.

Decorhate Thu 31-Mar-16 19:44:13

Why not look on their website? It should have accommodation costs on it

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 31-Mar-16 19:45:56

I've just looked at the website - it's correct.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 31-Mar-16 19:47:01

Accommodation costs on the website are stated as up to £7300 or so for en suite catered halls. Hall is obviously linked to college. But are students only able to take the accomodation choice they are offered?

Decorhate Thu 31-Mar-16 19:52:33

That will obviously be the most expensive type of accommodation. I'm assuming it's possible not to have an ensuite & perhaps to self cater? Usually you should be able to state a preference

superram Thu 31-Mar-16 19:53:59

When applying to Durham you apply to a college-did she not get into the college she applied for?

JeffyJeffington Thu 31-Mar-16 19:54:13

You can live out if you tell them first you're going to do that - see here www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/live/colleges/accommodation/nonuni/
Also one of the colleges (at least) does self catered and part catered see here, which should be a bit cheaper - see here www.dur.ac.uk/st-cuthberts.society/undergraduate/accommodation/ (went there but a long time ago, wouldn't recommend but that's a different story!)

EricNorthmanSucks Thu 31-Mar-16 19:56:02

An application to Durham is made to a college no?

Did the applicant get an offer from her first choice college? Sometimes you can get bumped.

Coconutty Thu 31-Mar-16 19:58:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boys3 Thu 31-Mar-16 19:59:33

looks like fully catered comes in at just over £7k, and that is without an en suite shock

www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/live/colleges/ourcolleges/costs/

DS1 had Durham as his insurance couple of years back. Conservative estimate was that it would cost at least £1500 a year more than Cambridge in terms of basic living costs.

It is certainly a great uni, and the North East is a fantastic place, however those accommodation costs are...............not cheap. Self catering is a fair bit less judging from the link - around £2000 less. Might that be an option op

I would also say that the only similarity between a Cambridge ./ Oxford college and Durham colleges is the word "college"

Good friend of DS1 currently at Durham so I'll see if he can find out what they currently pay.

ptumbi Thu 31-Mar-16 20:02:05

My ds2 is in his first year at Durham (Grey college) and is paying about £7K for fully catered halls. No en Suite, but nice enough room.

He absolutely loves it.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 31-Mar-16 20:02:20

I honestly don't know if the college she got was the one she originally applied for. She wouldn't have made fully catered en suite her first choice though: very picky eater and aiming for the cheapest self catered accommodation at the university she has now made first choice.

Decorhate Thu 31-Mar-16 20:05:22

According to the website, self catered with a shared bathroom is around £4900.

EricNorthmanSucks Thu 31-Mar-16 20:05:45

Trouble is you get what you get.

You can put down a preference for which type of accommodation, but there are no guarantees ( some are obviously far more expensive than others).

She might try calling the college and being honest that she simply can't afford that and beg for s cheaper room?

EricNorthmanSucks Thu 31-Mar-16 20:06:50

Which college is it BTW ?

Thecat1 Thu 31-Mar-16 20:08:40

DS1 is there and DS2 hopefully will be there in October, it is expensive but all meals are included and they both wanted the college experience.
DS1 has lived out in his second and third and will move back in for his fourth year.
Durham grant scheme which was £2000 last year gets taken off the cost of the accommodation,.
DS1 had enough money without needing anymore from us, College beer is cheap!

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 31-Mar-16 20:10:43

Is that definite Eric? You get what you get. It is quite off putting to be honest. And not exactly the way to broaden access. My God daughter has made another uni first choice now, I don't know whether she rang Durham to plead.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 31-Mar-16 20:14:07

I don't think she mentioned the name of the college. She was a bit sad about it to be honest so I didn't press for details.

What is the Durham grant scheme cat?

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 31-Mar-16 20:16:50

Wah just googled. Durham grant scheme would not apply to God daughter or my daughter. We are squeezed middle.

Thecat1 Thu 31-Mar-16 20:18:51

Durham grant is £2000 each year paid automatically if household income for student finance is less than £25000. If living in it is deducted from accommodation costs, If living out it goes to the student.

Lucked Thu 31-Mar-16 20:20:16

The link that Jeffy posted implies you can tell hem after you get your allocation.

"While we encourage all students to live in college during their first year, we appreciate that you may have commitments or circumstances which mean you need to live out of college.

If you wish to live out of college during your first year please notify your college that you do not require accommodation as soon as you receive details of your college allocation. Contact details for each college can be found on individual college websites."

EricNorthmanSucks Thu 31-Mar-16 20:22:00

In theory you get what you get in terms of accommodation.

It's the same everywhere and one reason to avoid not meeting the grades of your firm offer ( using your insurance or clearing can put you bottom of the accommodation list).

That said there is always some give. It's always worth pleading your case if you don't get a suitable offer.

Vis increasing access, accommodation costs are a huge issue. The maintainance loans don't cover them in too many universities leading to certain students being excluded.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 31-Mar-16 20:22:13

Well she did want to live in halls Lucked. Shame she couldn't afford the one they gave her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now