Physicians associate post grad course interview.

(7 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 22-Jan-16 21:29:22

Ive got an interview for the above course but am slightly having cold feet about the whole idea of a career change.

I think my main concern is uncertainty over job prospects when qualified. I can't find a lot of information out about jobs.

Only stuff I can find is saying that95% of students nationally get jobs. Which is no use to me if all those people are people who can relocate to London for a job. When im tied to a small Midlands city where the local hospital doesn't currently employ PAs.

It's a gamble that during my two years of training it might take off and more hospitals employ them. On the other hand hospitals may feel that employing people on circa 35k to cannulate, take bloods, take a medical history, etc is quite a bit of money and maybe they could Train more nurses up to an advanced practitioner level instead. Especially because they could prescribe and currently a PA can't though that might change.

I'm currently Band 6 in the nhs but bored. I'm not a nurse so I can't change role, became an advanced practitioner, etc.

So do I risk giving up a well paid career for two years of no pay, using up all my savings. But potentially a more varied, interesting better paid career at the end of it. But also the risk of no job?

anyone a PA, know a PA, work alongside any? Any thoughts?

impostersyndrome Fri 22-Jan-16 21:41:45

Could you ask the course leaders to put you in touch with recent graduates of the course? When I ran a Master's I'd do that regularly, so they could have a confidential chat. If they've nothing to hide, they should be happy to do that.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 23-Jan-16 07:34:39

That's a good idea. Ive found some graduates talking on the Student Room and they have jobs but no idea what part of the country. I need to talk to local graduates. Thanks.

TweenageAngst Sat 23-Jan-16 07:55:32

There is increasing demand for PA's in the NHS. However at the moment it is seen as a bit of a career dead end. There is no real progression, the anaesthesia PA role seems to stop at band 7 but they do have their own lists for minor surgery, it seems to be the most interesting option.
ANP's earn considerably more than £35K however you need a decent amount of experience to do these.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 23-Jan-16 17:01:51

I don't mind the lack of career progression. Would be happy on that pay scale and I think there would be enough variety in the job to keep interested.

Have realised I can't ask to be put in contact with local graduates as there aren't any! The course hasn't been running two years at my local Uni.

TweenageAngst Sat 23-Jan-16 17:34:06

Have a look at the NHS jobs website. Should give you an idea of what is available job wise.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 23-Jan-16 19:59:31

One job in the whole country!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now