New Mum-of-Medicine 2016 Applicant Thread part too - post UCAS

(347 Posts)
batters Fri 16-Oct-15 13:09:22

Hello All. A brand shiny new thread for us to discuss our dd's / ds's experiences from the moment the UCAS submission has happened.

Old thread here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/higher_education/2463955-New-Mum-of-Medicine-2016-Applicant-Thread

How is everyone the day after the official deadline? My dd is feeling rather frustrated as some of her friends have received unconditional offers already for non med courses - ie Law. It looks to me as though medical school interview offers don't start coming through for another 3 weeks or so?

Leeds2 Fri 16-Oct-15 13:56:10

Not intending to derail the thread so early, but where have they received unconditional offers for law from? I have never heard of that before.

Needmoresleep Fri 16-Oct-15 14:00:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

batters Fri 16-Oct-15 14:16:49

Needmoresleep - it's not my thread, at all. I've just started it. I personally felt that there was a huge amount of discussion on the old thread about league tables etc and that this had somewhat derailed the original idea of the thread which was support, help and advice. Also all our children (!) have now moved onto the next phrase of their applications and I thought a new thread might prove a useful and obvious next stage re interviews, offers, rejections etc. Does that make sense?

Really hope that this thread is helpful to us all, there's no hidden meaning behind me starting it at all...

Needmoresleep Fri 16-Oct-15 15:31:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Decorhate Fri 16-Oct-15 17:25:14

Good luck to all your dcs. (I muted the old thread. And as was pointed out on it, the same thing happened last year with unhelpful arguments)

I'll try to find out when my dd heard about her interviews last year.

Decorhate Fri 16-Oct-15 17:50:45

Birmingham - email on 31st Oct for interview mid November

Cardiff - email Dec 10th for interview mid January

Leeds - email 19th Dec for interview at the end of January

But bear in mind that for those places that interview lots over several months they may hear later rather than sooner for post-Christmas interviews

Molio Fri 16-Oct-15 20:32:11

Here Birmingham invited early Oct for third week of Oct.

Oxford invited late Nov for second week of Dec (but that's universal).

Imperial invited early December for early Jan.

Bristol rejected early Jan.

Molio Fri 16-Oct-15 20:32:45

Bristol rejected without interview I should have said.

Northernlurker Fri 16-Oct-15 23:43:55

I'm operating on no news is good news for now grin dd has one friend who's had an offer already, for psychology.

LessStress Sat 17-Oct-15 00:25:33

Lovely new thread Batters.
DD is now on to BMAT preparation, she much prefers it to UKCAT practice so far. DD wanted to hedge her bets and try both. Is anyone else's DC doing BMAT?
Birmingham interview early don't they?
Warwick seems to be the early offering Uni amongst DD's friends this year (non-medics)

Molio Sat 17-Oct-15 08:52:59

Very early LessStress but it's a good boost to be asked early on.

What subjects are Warwick offering for already, if you know?

Northernlurker Sat 17-Oct-15 11:34:10

Dd isn't doing BMAT having applied only to UKCAT unis (thankfully!). One of her friends is though.

SuePine Sat 17-Oct-15 12:46:16

DD also chose not to do BMAT, mainly because she didn't want to spend even more time practising for it during this busy, busy month of 18th birthday parties. She does, however, have to do the Keele Roles and Responsibilities form before the end of the month.

batters Mon 19-Oct-15 12:45:05

Decorhate and Molio - thank you for the info re invites, really useful.

LessStress, my dd felt the same way as SuePine's and Northernlurker re "only" doing the UKCAT and not the BMAT.

CakeUpWall Tue 20-Oct-15 16:49:45

Can I join? (Read the other one but wasn't brave enough to delurk!)

DS went for both UKCAT and BMAT entries. Did well enough on the former, but so far has been more than reluctant to revise for the latter. i.e. Not a sausage. Shame, as two of his applications require it, and I'm worried that he'll waste those two slots if he doesn't knuckle down. Apparently "it's all under control." hmm

He has friends with Warwick offers already too. Sorry, not sure which subjects.

batters Wed 21-Oct-15 09:56:28

welcome CakeUpWall, the more the merrier! It's hard watching your kids at this stage and not knowing for sure whether they are preparing properly or not. Dd did a lot of prep at the beginning for the UKCAT but her AS Chemistry result knocked her confidence for 6 (she originally got a b but this was upgraded to an A on remark) and I think this really affected her approach at the end towards the UKCAT. Having said that she did do okay on it.

Leeds2, I checked with dd and the unconditional law offer was from University of East Anglia apparently.

LessStress Wed 21-Oct-15 10:00:57

Cake- of course, the more the merrier!
Which BMAT schools has your DS applied to? DD's are Oxford and UCL. She hadn't even planned to apply this year until mid-September when she changed her mind so everything is rather last minute here too. There is apparently loads of information on the BMAT website itself for when your DS wants to get started ;)

Molio, I checked with DD and her friends have Warwick offers in Biology and History.

SuePine- At least your Dd will have half term to complete her Keele form. DD was interested in Nottingham but the extra paperwork they have to complete put her off. It took her so many hours to write her PS she couldn't face any more. That said, BMAT does have an essay but I don't think it is as important as the other sections.

LessStress Wed 21-Oct-15 10:05:16

Sorry Batters- x post!

batters Wed 21-Oct-15 10:17:52

Haha LessStress, don't think there can be too many welcomes can there?!

Leeds2 Wed 21-Oct-15 12:09:39

Thanks, Batters. I find that very surprising!

CakeUpWall Wed 21-Oct-15 12:19:19

Thanks all smile

DS's BMAT options are Oxford & Leeds. We ruled out London early on, which helped to narrow down choices. I plan to have a big nag serious chat with him this evening regarding allocating some time in his oh-so-busy schedule for some revision.

We got an email from Medify yesterday to say that they are now providing some BMAT practice. Will have a look with DS later; it was quite helpful for the UKCAT.

Warwick have made maths offers too, btw.

Decorhate Wed 21-Oct-15 18:19:45

cake - great choices! They were my dd's firm & insurance last year. Anecdotally Leeds has been know to be lenient with the odd missed grade (thankfully!). I also know of someone who got no offers last year but aced their A levels & got a last minute offer from Leeds on the back of that

CakeUpWall Wed 21-Oct-15 21:00:46

Thanks, Decor - presume your DD is at Leeds then...well done to her!

DS was very impressed at the open day and loved the vibe of the whole place. He's also applied to Bristol & Sheffield, and would actually find it hard to choose between them all.

It's encouraging to hear that Leeds could be a bit flexible; it may be needed! grin

LessStress Thu 22-Oct-15 08:51:38

The prospect that things may not go according to plan with A2s next Summer is the reason DD changed her mind at the last minute and decided to apply this year rather than after A levels. Her very clever cousin dropped a grade this year in Chemistry but was still taken by the med school, though a week after results. She also has a would-be medic friend who went from AABB to AAAA (sciences/maths) at AS this Summer on re-marking.
It seems possible that Med schools may take offerees with less than AAA but very unlikely someone applying post-A level with a B in Chemistry would be considered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now