Uni of Huddersfield accomodation

(12 Posts)
traceyinrosso70 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:18:08

Does anyone have DC at Huddersfield who can comment on the accomodation. We looked at Storthes Hall which my DS liked but were unsure as to what it was like being so far out of the town. We didn't get chance to look at Ashenhurst at all - how close to town is this? What is the atmosphere like there ? Any help gratefully received !

MillyMoo1113 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:28:02

Well it's 20 years ago since I lived in storthes hall, and I don't know ashenhurst, but in terms of living at storthes, as long as they still provide the free bus service during the day and the £1 bus service home up until 2am, he'll be fine.

it certainly never bothered me or friends living that far out. It didn't affect our social lives and was far nicer than the shared house we'd had the year before. But it was a new build when I lived there, which is showing my age.....!

traceyinrosso70 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:31:35

I think they said it was about £15 for the year for a bus pass - the accomodation was clean, relatively spacious and quite sensibly priced

MillyMoo1113 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:33:30

If that includes evening buses as well then that's a bargain. The flats were cleaned once a week and the cleaners did a good job so I suspect they've stayed in good conditions.

You've brought back some memories!!

DanishBlue Tue 13-Oct-15 14:43:57

Local here, whilst I don't know the Ashenhurst accommodation personally, route finder says it is 1.6 miles from the university, which is the same my daughter walks from her accommodation in Leeds to Uni (25 mins walk)

It does seem a lot smaller than Storthes Hall though which claims to have 1300 students and things to do on site.

Not sure what there would actually be to do at Ashenhurst on a wet Wednesday evening when you don't want to trek into the town centre. Suspect the on site bar, gym and sheer number of students found at Storthes Hotel would have more of a pull to my DC.

Cannot comment on the quality of the accommodation at either place, Storthes Hall was originally an asylum and was still a psychiatric hospital when I was a child. A horrible place where unmarried mothers and people with disabilities and moderate mental health issues were incarcerated.

On a plus note I think that has all been knocked down and the student village replaced the original building.

traceyinrosso70 Tue 13-Oct-15 15:16:46

Yes, it no longer looks like a Victorian asylum !! Nice, stone built blocks with a bar etc in what might have been part of the original buildings but even that was due to be refurbished over the summer.

sayerville Thu 15-Oct-15 21:46:29

Don't even consider Storthes Hall, awful, a long way from the uni, waiting for buses in the cold, the shop is overpriced and should it snow the shelves are cleared very quickly!
Instead....go to Saw Mill unite,more expensive, brand new, on the doorstep of the uni far better. DD very happy there, is that good stayed in her 2nd year. Plenty of private halls but they can't advertise those just Storthes which is outdated.

iwantgin Sat 17-Oct-15 20:50:03

I live in Huddersfield.

Storthes Hall is lovely old buildings with grounds (used to be a psychiatric hospital). But it is a fair way out of the town centre. Yes, there is a subsidised bus service but in the winter the roads up there can be icy.

Ashenhurst isn't in a great area. It is closer to the uni but that District has a reputation for crime and being not so nice in general.

If I needed student accommodation I would go for the new build blocks in the town centre. No transport costs or issues. Nightlife right there too. Plus access to the supermarkets and shops (maybe part time work too).

traceyinrosso70 Sat 17-Oct-15 21:29:05

Thanks everyone

traceyinrosso70 Sat 17-Oct-15 22:27:56

sayerville can I ask how you have got on with Unite in terms of payments? Having read a few reviews it seems that they often require fairly hefty payments to be made before student loans are received ??

Kosakova Tue 20-Oct-15 23:49:45

My dd is in the Castings and it's been fabulous accommodation. It was new in 2014 when she moved in. She's been allowed to keep the same room for her second year (just had to box her stuff up in case they needed the room over the summer, but the Uni stored it for her). Regarding payments before student loans come in, I think we paid the first months rent in 2014, then I made sure she kept money from her final terms loan to cover for September 2015. It seems that they get more money in the summer term than they actually need, so before she decided to treat herself we had a discussion about rent, etc. When other rent payments have been due, she has spoken to reception and they have okay'd it for it to be payed as soon as the loan arrives. I think the secret is to keep them informed.

sayerville Thu 29-Oct-15 11:11:15

Yes Unite payment does come out before the loan arrives, but DD had an arranged overdraft which helped for the 2/3 days she was in overdraft situation, most banks arrange this, and yest there is also a £500 payment in August which we stumped up. They are also pretty hot on charging for the damages, for example she had to pay £75 for marking one wall slightly where she had placed photos, albeit with blu tak they still marked, like I warned her it would!
Location wise though you can't beat it! Castings is a little further away but one of her friends was there and liked it.
Next year she wants to rent a flat alone so that will cost more looking at it especially as she wants to move in during the summer, who'll be funding that then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now