Missed student finance deadline

(9 Posts)
Smithy989 Mon 06-Jul-15 10:38:17

DS has passed his end of first year exams at Uni and will go back to start second year at the end of September.
He has not yet applied for student finance to cover this and seems to be in no rush to do so, despite a couple of gentle remindrs from me.

Last year he took out a tuition fees loan and maintenace loan but was only eligible for the minimum maintenace loan and we topped it up.

I think he's missed the deadline now so I'm worried they won't pay thee Uni fees in time and we won't be in a position to pay more than the monthly amount we paid last year, has anyone else been in this position? Do you have any advice?

Emochild Mon 06-Jul-15 10:53:37

At my Uni we don't pay fees until November so I wouldn't worry too much about that as long as he does apply

I'd be more worried about accommodation costs being late

Does he definitely want to go back for 2nd year?

NiceCardigan Mon 06-Jul-15 21:12:03

He should just complete it now if he is just getting the minimum maintenance loan then it can be processed really quickly.

mumeeee Mon 06-Jul-15 21:46:19

He should be fine if he completes it now.
DD3 didn't have to reapply for her Student loan for second year. Student finance just automatically did it and sent her a letter with all the information and telling her when each installment would be paid. She just had to check it was correct and sign and send back a declaration. They also provided a stamped address envelope. We were suprised as DD1'and DD2 had to reapply when they were at university. Anyway check with your DS whether that has happened.

Kez100 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:50:50

My Dd did her year 2 online in.about 10 minutes in.February. Then a form came through to sign and she had to reinput her bank details

Scholes34 Sun 12-Jul-15 23:05:41

You have until nine months after the start of your course that year to apply for loans, so you've not missed the boat on deadlines. However, the uni will chase for fees long before that, and a landlord will be after their rent. Once the application for a tuition fees loan has been submitted, the uni is usually happy to await the application being processed. The uni knows when an application has been made to Student Finance and as long as they know your DC qualifies as a Home student, they shouldn't chase up the payment of fees.

Mindgone Wed 15-Jul-15 18:07:32

I have found a student finance form in DS1's room today, dated feb 15, which hasn't been signed and sent back to finance his second year! Is it too late, or should it be ok?

Scholes34 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:16:39

No, you've not missed the boat. Just get him to sign it now and send it back. The loan has been approved and not signing the declaration would just hold up payment.

Mindgone Thu 16-Jul-15 09:52:43

Ok, thanks very much scholes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now