There is a possibility i'm stressing a little too much about the decision making process for September

(10 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 05-May-15 22:18:56

I've gone beyond spreadsheet and on to Gantt charts and critical path analysis <rolls eyes>

Only now it's finished can I look back and say that was possibly a step "toooo farrr" echoing into the distance

Oh dear blush

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 05-May-15 22:25:35

I already know I'm going to be like this. grin
When DS1 was deciding on his GCSE options I encouraged him to use a decision matrix!

KatyMac Tue 05-May-15 22:35:41

DD had a 3 month 15 minute slot timetable for her GCSE revision grin but it worked, not a fail amongst them despite what the teacher said

I am a nightmare parent - but she doesn't run out of food or money due to her inherited spreadsheets

eatyourveg Wed 06-May-15 07:40:11

ds has a spreadsheet - (ASD and into lists big time) started off months back with 60+ courses, currently down to 14 courses at 7 institutions and 5 open days. 12 criteria at the moment although that seems to creep up every time he gets it out. I actually quite like it because it shows me how he is thinking and reassures me that any decision he makes will certainly not be a rash one.

KatyMac Wed 06-May-15 09:30:21

Oh tell him to look into systems diagrams - it's likely that he will LOVE them

UptheChimney Wed 06-May-15 13:01:10

Chill out.

Really!

Unless you're the one going to university? In which case, you'd make a marvellous student who would never complain about deadlines. grin

KatyMac Wed 06-May-15 16:19:00

She's not going to uni she's going to college

She can't borrow student loans for the course so I'm ultimately responsible for paying

She's away from home & only in yr12

I'll keep stressing; landlady needs notice if she goes elsewhere (date 1) the grant application needs to be finalised (date 2) college A will decide by (date 3) college B by (date 4) & college C by (date 5) & book new accommodation by (date 6) funding needs to be accepted by (date 7)

Critical path analysis is the only way to rationalise it - DD keeps looking at the calendar and asking when do I need to decide by (answer 24th May) but it took a lot of deducing

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 06-May-15 16:22:11

I don't even know what Critical Path Analysis is andn I am not sure my kids do. They have both managed to get educated to Masters Level and into employment.

KatyMac Wed 06-May-15 16:38:11

They are just systems tools used in project management & you probably have 'used' them

You get the walls plastered before you put the skirting boards on but after the electrics have gone in

Or you choose the carpet before the bedroom curtains

It gives me structure so I can wait for her decision & so she knows when she has to decide by

Katymac Mon 25-May-15 16:52:36

Stressing all over!!

Decision made <phew>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now