How is final the A level grade calculated from the AS & A2 marks/grades?

(33 Posts)
Lurgano Thu 30-Apr-15 14:14:20

Do the A2 and AS marks/grades represent exactly 50% of the final over all A level grade awarded? And is it the actual raw scores from the AS and A2's that are averaged eg 67% + 58% or is it the overall grade band ie A grade + C grade = B grade.

Bit confused - Hope this makes sense! Do the Unis see the actual AS and A2 marks etc so that they could determine if it was a high or low B grade for instance....

YDdraigGoch Thu 30-Apr-15 14:16:57

I thought they were different qualifications. I didn't think that the AS contributed to the A2.

I am probably wrong.

hellsbells99 Thu 30-Apr-15 14:48:59

Yes it is 50% from AS and 50% from the A2 exams (currently).
I assume it is the UMS that counts - it is not the grade

Molio Thu 30-Apr-15 14:55:16

But the A* at A2 is different - you need to average 90% across the A2 papers.

Some unis require the grade to be declared, others merely encourage it and others do neither. The school will tend to flag up full marks, or nearly full marks - at least it should.

Molio Thu 30-Apr-15 14:56:11

90% or more, obviously!

hellsbells99 Thu 30-Apr-15 15:03:15

As Molio says at least 90% across the A2 papers for an A* (maths is a bit different) and at least 80% overall.
Cambridge ask for the actual UMS marks but most don't. DD's school reference included her marks for maths as it was very high but she only included her grades in her part of the ucas application.

TheWordFactory Thu 30-Apr-15 15:03:22

For those starting the course in September, some subjects will no longer count AS towards the final A2 grade.

Therefore some schools are taking the decision not to sit their pupils for AS in those subjects.

This will mean universities will make offers based on knowing how some candidates fared at the end of lower sixth but not others.

Will this cause an uneven playing field based on something outside the applicant's power?

Lurgano Thu 30-Apr-15 15:03:36

Thanks - my sons school predicts the final A level GRADE for the UCAS form from AS results and their knowledge of the candidate....I suppose that they can add in the AS raw score as well?

Molio Thu 30-Apr-15 15:12:32

That depends on which university you ask Word, and which political party!

Yes that's exactly what they should do with high marks OP.

SecretSquirrels Thu 30-Apr-15 15:15:19

He can always put the UMS in his PS if particularly high although I would expect the teacher reference to mention it in that case.

Cambridge and Durham both asked DS1 for his AS UMS in all subjects.
As others have said an A* in A" requires 90% in the A2 exams.

TheWordFactory Thu 30-Apr-15 15:19:19

True dat molio.

I suspect many universities will continue with business as usual and just make offers to those with the requisite predicted grades. Offerees will then either get the grades at A2 or not.

The problem might come at the sharp end. There is already huge competition for places at the most selective universities and a lot of work has gone into making access greater.

It would be a horrible shame if some students were disadvantaged by decisions made by their school with regards to AS.

Decorhate Thu 30-Apr-15 17:13:28

Hellsbells, could you clarify what is different about A* for maths? Thanks

hellsbells99 Thu 30-Apr-15 17:32:32

For maths I think you have to get the average of 90% only over the 2 core papers C3 and C4 because the third paper could be any from S1/2, M1/2 or D1/2

OddBoots Thu 30-Apr-15 17:36:31

I've only just seen on the UCAS website that AS grades will be worth 40% of a full A Level from 2017, that is for the same cohort that is starting the new A Levels but may also be for some others who take a year or more out.

titchy Thu 30-Apr-15 17:40:06

That's for tariff points odd, not for calculating the overall grade of the A level which will be the same until they're decoupled.

hellsbells99 Thu 30-Apr-15 17:41:13

I thought for the new A levels, the AS exams didn't count at all? I am confused now!

OddBoots Thu 30-Apr-15 17:43:16

Sorry, you're right titchy, it is tariff, ignore me.

Molio Thu 30-Apr-15 17:44:18

hellsbells when they're decoupled the AS is a stand alone qualification.

Decorhate Thu 30-Apr-15 17:47:12

Thanks Hellsbells!

TheWordFactory Thu 30-Apr-15 17:49:08

For 2015, there are some A levels which will crack on as normal (with AS being banked). But some will be de-coupled from the AS (the AS marks can't be banked.

Sitting a decoupled AS level is optional. Different schools are taking different views.

I don't have the list of which ones are being decoupled with me. Does anyone have it?

hellsbells99 Thu 30-Apr-15 18:13:34

Sorry it was Oddboots statement about the AS counting as 40% of the new A level that is confusing me. I thought the AS won't count at all towards the new A level exams (I know the AS will be a standalone qualification)?

titchy Thu 30-Apr-15 18:26:30

The new UCAS tariff awards AS 40% of the points of the same grade at A level, rather than half as at present. Currently C grade A level is 80 points and C grade AS half that so 40 points. That's changing to 40%. Scottish quals will attract a higher tariff than at present.

Molio Thu 30-Apr-15 18:38:33

The decoupled AS won't count towards the A2 hellsbells, is what I meant.

hellsbells99 Thu 30-Apr-15 18:48:31

I understand now thanks!

Lurgano Fri 01-May-15 16:57:47

Wow -- now I am confused. Son is taking AS now and A2 in 2016 -- will he be affected by any of this -- my assumption was/is that his AS scores represent 50% of his final grade....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now