ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Anybody got a dc studying Fine Art?

(17 Posts)

Dd thinks it's what she wants to study, if she goes to uni. Would be v grateful for any info about places that offer it, tips on compiling a portfolio etc.

Thank you.

Leeds2 Fri 15-Aug-14 15:35:45

The husband of one of my friend's children did this, about 8 years ago.

I know nothing about the course, but I know he spent a year at college, after A Levels, doing some sort of foundation course first, which meant his actual degree lasted for three years instead of four. He could've gone directly after A Levels, but would've had to study for longer. The cost of one year at college and three years at uni was a lot less than four years at uni.

I hope that makes sense!

Perfect sense, thanks. smile Local college has stopped offering their foundation course, which is a pain - so we're trying to only look at courses that are a) three years and b) will accept without the Foundation course.

Cherryblossomsmile Fri 15-Aug-14 15:52:22

I recommend foundation course first as it is diagnostic and offers an opportunity to try all areas of art and design before committing to a degree.

Also best degree courses will have applications from those with a foundation portfolio so you have best chance of a place on top courses with a foundation under your belt.

Plus. Foundation year is so much fun smile

Thanks, Cherry. Unfortunately, as I said below, the local college has stopped running their foundation course. Some unis offer a 4 year course, but that is an awful lot more money than 3 years.

Persipan Fri 15-Aug-14 18:06:56

I did Fine Art - I really strongly recommend doing Foundation first. I got a First, but without doing Foundation I think I would have seriously struggled.

Caramelkate Sat 16-Aug-14 07:52:05

My son did Foundation at MMU. It helped him realise he loved art but didn't want to do it full time, so he is now doing zoology. I would really recommend foundation. He had a free day each week so got a job to help fund it.

Thanks, both. We've done lots of research! There are two foundation courses available locally, both of which she might apply to. But there are also quite a lot of uni places non-dependent on having done a foundation year, which she will also apply to.

Does anybody know how that works? Does she apply for the foundations and to UCAS, and then defer uni if she chooses to do the foundation year first? Personally, I think doing the foundation year would be good for her, as she's one of the younger ones in her school year.

Caramelkate Sat 16-Aug-14 10:05:37

She may totally change her interests ( eg from painting to 3d design) if she does a foundation year, so I wouldn't encourage applying and deferring, as she might have to change course rather than defer.

Thanks. Most of the degrees she's looking at allow flexibility.

Caramelkate Sat 16-Aug-14 14:42:54

I was thinking more about some courses are more focused on a particular branch, so she might apply to x because she wants to focus on sculpture but then decide she wants to do photography, and prefers Y as it's better for digital stuff. But it might just be that my son was very picky!

Thanks again. Her 'thing' is drawing/painting and I can't imagine that's going to change tbh.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 17-Aug-14 20:23:44

You don't have to pay fees for the actual foundation course if she's under 18. Obviously you will have to pay for her keep though. If she does her foundation a Uni, then she won't be eligible for a grant/loan either.

DD looked at doing her foundation at Uni because she really wanted to get away but has now decided to stay at home and do it at the local college for financial reasons.

You apply to the Uni or college direct, no UCAS for foundation. You are then free to go elsewhere for your actual degree.

By the way, if you look at Fine Art degree shows, there tends not to be much drawing/painting involved. It is more your pile of bricks scenario (prepares to be flamed by those more educated). If you daughter likes drawing and painting she may prefer a degree in illustration. I think that's why it 's very useful to do a Foundation if you can.

Thanks, Tinky. She will either do a foundation year at local college, or apply for a degree course that doesn't need one.

Caramelkate Sun 17-Aug-14 22:47:26

I agree. My son did virtually no painting or drawing on his foundation. He made hammers out of wax, videoed himself throwing blocks of ice off the roof, and graffitied some hedges in Wales. He developed a real love for video. If she is focused on one area, I would really recommend she does a foundation!

pinkbraces Mon 18-Aug-14 16:35:08

My DD is currently doing a Fine Art Degree at Leeds College of Art, she absolutely loves it, just going into her second year.

She did her Foundation year at Central St Martins and could have stayed to do her degree but she really didn't enjoy living in London, couldn't settle down at all. Doing the Foundation year really helped her decide which kind of art she wanted to pursue. I don't think she would have got on the Fine Art Degree Course without the foundation year - although I don't think you particularly need to with Graphics.

The actual course is brilliant, she is very much a abstract kind of artist, likes using lots of different and strange materials, but she also does a lot of drawing.

She spends a lot of time at galleries and art shows.

Thanks, both. Lots to think about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now