Mid 50's - any experience of a part-time uni degree?

(5 Posts)
ajandjjmum Thu 26-Jun-14 13:26:06

I've been vaguely thinking of an OU degree for several years, but looking into the possibility in more detail, nothing particularly appeals. However, I have found information of a degree at our local uni that sounds brilliant - and is associated with the type of work I've done for the last 20+ years!

Would it be utterly stupid to consider combining the degree on a PT basis (which they do offer), whilst reducing my working hours?

I'm currently trying to talk to someone about what they would require to offer a place, but would be grateful to learn of anyone's experience of studying a such a great age!! grin

Mitzi50 Sun 29-Jun-14 12:17:02

I did a Postgraduate Diploma part time in my 40s and I found the academic side so much interesting than I did in late teens/twenties.

I am now in my 50s and have the same plan as you - I am hoping to diversify into a new career that uses my existing experience. As I will have to work til I'm 68, it does not seem unreasonable to re-train.

Noregretsatall Sun 20-Jul-14 21:21:28

I did a part time degree in my forties (was 49 when i finished it) whilst working part-time and raising my family. It was the best thing I ever did! Thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Now I miss it (graduated last summer) and want to do a Master's.

Late 40s here and just about to enter year 5 of a 6 year OU degree. I now work 4 days a week (. But still manage to work a 42 hr week) Mondays are OU days which means you will find me watching YouTube videos of cats...

SwedishEdith Sun 20-Jul-14 21:33:40

I finished an ou degree last year whilst working mostly full time and loved it. I didn't do it for any kind career prospects so that might be why I enjoyed it so much? But I got so much more out of it then when I was a student first time round - I really miss and am considering an MA now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now